We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time skiing

Washington, UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
first time skiing

Hi all, me (hasnt been skiing) and my wife (has been skiing) are thinking of visiting Niederau for a week.

We have no skiing equipment and would need to hire all once we got there.

I wanted to get an idea of how much this would cost for the skiing shool and hire of equipment.

I have seen a late deal offer for next week (Sat 2nd) so we are after as much info as soon as possible

is this a good location for a 1st time skiier?

thanks in advance.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time skiing

The area you refer to can be well suited for beginning skiers. Mostly easier skiing can be found.

I would suggest looking to the following website

www.wildschoenau.at

this can provide info on skiing, lift prices and offers numerous ski school and rental possibilities.

You can quickly calculate your costs.

Washington, UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time skiing

Thanks for the quick reply, i'll check out the link for more more info.

Is there much else to do in the area apart from skiing etc?

Washington, UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time skiing

sorry for all the questions, but is Wildschönau - Tirol in the same area s niederau?

Thank you (mr novice) :-)

austria
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time skiing

Wildschönau is the name of the general name of the municipality.

The community consists of severl villages that are really too small to have efficient governing or for tourism marketing on their own.

In this area the villages Niederau, Oberau, Wildschönau and several more I think comprise this unit.

So the names really refer to the same general area.

For things to do , naturally a winter sports center with all winter activities.

For more sightseeing you must leave the area .

Innsbruck, Salzburg and Kitz possible within a day trip

Washington, UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time skiing

Thanks, for reply.

I have been doing some reading and looks like a very nice area.

I am surprised of the cost for the ski equipment hire and ski passes, for a couple for 6 days this works out almost a third of the total holiday cost.

I guess if we didn’t ski for the majority of our stay there wouldn’t be much else to do?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time skiing

Shop around when you arrive in the resort .

Often you can find packages that combine ski lessons, equipment and ski pass at a better combined rate.

perhaps even your hotel has an arrangement with a local firm.

Also enquire about the local guest pass . This often provided by the tourist office combined with your hotel that provides town hotel guests with some savings Some but not all resorts offer such things.

You will find many other winter outdoor activites too and this keeps you busy.

Washington, UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time skiing

Sounds like a good idea, but i dont want to turn up un prepaired or what to expect.

can anyone give a rough idea of how much the hire of equipment would be for around 5 days?

Appologies for all the questions, but time is running out as we are hoping to go on saturday!!!!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time skiing

5 days good carving all around ski about 50 euro

example

www.sportblachfelder.at

lift ticket pricing can be found togehter with other rentals at the Wildschoenau web address.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time skiing

My brother took his 3 sons to Niederau for their first 2 ski holidays.He said it is good for beginners.They took most of their own ski clothing and boots and hired skis.Ski school was very good and awards medals at the end of the week for the kids. Only one lift in the village but Oberau (which is more interesting and challenging) is only a bus ride away.

Village is quiet,not a lot going on- skiing apart-and not that convenient travelwise.Longish transfers from Salzburg,particularly, and Innsbruck.Nearest town,serviced by buses, is Worgl which is on a main train line.

I would recommend Ellmau but it won't be as cheap as Niederau (because it is better located probably).I have stayed in both.St Johann also has prices on a par with Niederau.Don't think I will return to Niederau but taste is personal.

10. Re: first time skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Niederau