We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soll or Ellmau for walking

Which Ellmau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Soll or Ellmau for walking

Hi

We are thinking of going to either Soll or Ellamau early September for walking.

Has anyone got an opinion on which would be better . We like big mountain views.

We like to start our walks from the hotel not just from the lifts, although we would get a pass for 3 days.

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

both villages are in the same valley, so no real difference. ellmau is closer to wilder kaiser mountains, which you can see from ther, but it is difficult to see them from soll. some nice walks up the wilder kaiser. both soll and elmau will have uphill transport, and an idea would be to go up one and walk along the "ridge to the other.

ellmau is a smaller village, and in my opinion, nicer.

you can also get a bus to kitzbuhel for a visit or walk.

Edited: 7:26 am, June 11, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
1,018 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

Both Söll and Ellmau offer stunning views of the Wilder Kaiser and the walking is similar in both places. They each have a good selection of accommodation and local services. From Söll, you can easily visit the historic town of Kufstein, which is half an hour away by Postbus.

In both places, you can get the SkiWelt cable car pass, which would cost you €36.50 each for 3 days. skiwelt.at/en/the-skiwelt-hiking-experience-…

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

Thanks very much Nakagoli and George M for your help, I am the queen of indecision.

I always think small is best so will probably go for Ellmau.

Wakefield
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

Ellmau is actually bigger than Söll.

Both are beautiful villages but Ellmau has a busy road running through the centre, Söll has a pedestrianized area and all roads are quiet.

If you're planning on visiting this summer it is worth knowing that they are building a bypass in Ellmau so it is very noisy at present and there are lots of cranes dotted about.

Ellmau is certainly a better option if you're planning on hiking in the Wilder Kaiser however Söll is still a great base with great walking potential close by.

The free Kaiserjet bus in the valley connecting both Ellmau and Söll is exceptional. I'd personally choose Söll every time.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,450 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

ellmau population 2616

soll population 3510.

nuff said

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

Thanks both, we were looking at hiking around WK , we like quiet areas a little bit away from hustle and bustle. I don't like the sound of the cranes or building work .

Manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soll or Ellmau for walking

We have just returned from Soll today and it seemed quieter than Ellmau, there are walks you can do from the village but for the best walks I would suggest going up the gondola to the higher levels and the views. The bus service is great from Going through Ellmau, Scheffau and Soll. The Hintersteinersee lake is lovely for a visit and from Soll you can get over to Kitzbuhel by taking the lift up and over then 10 mins on the train.

Reply to: Soll or Ellmau for walking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted