We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet Hartkaiser in Ellmau review

Which Ellmau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NW Engalnd
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Chalet Hartkaiser in Ellmau review

Dear mods, if this is in the wrong forum can you please move it to the correct one.....

Ok, you have probably found this post as you have seen a catered chalet in the crystal brochure and you are wondering whether or not to book it.

I too was in your situation 3 months ago as I could not find any reviews on this chalet.

So here goes............

When my wife (nervous skier) and myself (typical male lunatic) arrived at the hotel we were both exhausted as we were getting over the tail end of flu.

The female chalet hosts (Nicola and Kara) showed us to our top floor room and told us the evening meal would be ready when we were.

To say I was disappointed with accommodation would be an understatement . (don't panic.... Please read on, remember we are both exhausted)

After the initial wondering if I can change hotel I decided I would sleep on it.......

It is amazing what 10 hours of unbroken sleep can do to raise the spirits.

On the 1st day we both decided to take the day off and just chill around the resort

The location of chalet was really good as it is a short 2 minute stroll to a quiet resort ( do not come here if you like lively après ski)

As the week went on my wife discussed the chalet and compared it to the other ski places we have stayed

It beat the "la cachette" in les arcs as the room was better and the heating worked.

It beat the "chalet bianca" in bardonecchia as the location was better

But it did not beat the "sonnschien" in Niederau, but that was a 4* hotel with pool.

So all in all I would recommend this chalet if you are on a tight budget.

If you are looking at this you would also be aware of the schonblick.

Personally I would not stay there as it is 20 min walk up a very steep hill

That hotel is only suitable for intermediate skiers

(If you look at the piste map it is about 50m from where red90 splits from blue100)

You will also have seen the hockfilzer. This is a lovely hotel right in the centre (Don't forget the centre is quiet)

But it is twice the price of the hartkaiser ( they do have free wifi though )

next door to this is the Alte Post, I can't really comment on here as when we walked in for a drink the place stunk of smoke so we walked backed out again.

Which reminds me the Harkaiser and hockfilzer are one of the few smoke free places you will come accross

Finally you have the Battlhoff in Going.............why anyone would stay here is beyond me as it may be a nice hotel but it is in the middle of no where and the ski bus does not run during the lunch times

On the Wednesday night is the day off for the chalet girls so you have to eat out 2 large and tasty pizza's, 2 wines, 2 beers was 25Euro in memory

Well the coach will be here soon so i better start heading back

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet Hartkaiser in Ellmau review

I stayed at Chalet Hartkaiser on a June walking holiday B&B..It was cheap and so was everything about it.It is not a chalet it is a house.I would not stay there again even if it was free.I know Ellmau quite well and any accommodation that is British owned/managed is best avoided.

Hotel Hochfilzer is the place to stay.Hotel Baer has wonderful food but it is expensive and a climb out of the village.I was very disappointed in our room there considering the price.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet Hartkaiser in Ellmau review

It is best if you submit your review under the accommodation itself. Where it doesn't exist just submit as new.

The biggest problem with "UK" Catered Chalet accommodation (review-wise) is that the companies (Thomsons, Crystal whoever) often don't own the properties and instead take over locally owned accommodation and run it for the ski season only. Sometimes they even give it their own name. This makes it difficult to find independant information on the property (e.g. it could be run by the owners or a different company again in the summer season).

Tranent, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet Hartkaiser in Ellmau review

stayed here 19th january for a week and whilst it is not the most beautiful chalet in the world you get what you pay for. if you wanted luxury you would have booked the sport hotel or hochfilzer but they would have cost you a lot more. as long as i have a comfy bed which i did and it is clean which it was then i am happy. i came here to ski and ski i did which was fantastic. the food served up in the chalet was average and it really lacks not having a lounge area but we mat a really good crowd and we chatted and drank the free wine and went out to a bar later on for a couple.

i really don't understand people who moan about accomodation they paid sweeties for. what do you expect.

4. Re: Chalet Hartkaiser in Ellmau review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, July 27, 2015