We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

Portsmouth UK
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Topic
Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

For some obscure reason this chalet doesnt meet tripadvisors requirements to be listed. Its a catered chalet with multiple rooms, in a ski resort, offered by a leading ski operator. SO a bit odd that is doesnt qualify. Hopefully someone will find it here. I`ll do a proper one if it ever gets added..

Basics: sleeps 10 people across 5 rooms (although somehow 11 were booked in for the week after we were there..bizarre..think a travel agent may have been taking a few liberties). Roms are not ensuite (well ours wasnt - although I believe one of them may have been). There are 2 communal shower rooms and 2 communal toilets - which is fine (as long as you don`t mind the odd queue at peak times - so after a days skiing or just before dinner)

Rooms: Come with a basin. Austrian twin beds (for those that are not familair, this is a double bed frame with two mattresses and two duvets). Our room (top floor) had a balcony (3 floors in all) with nice views across the snow. There was a boot /ski room in the basement as you would expect. Room was a nice temperature and had a lock - although i had no worries about any of our fellow guests stealing anything - just not that type of holiday)

Food: This is a catered chalet. There is a continental style breakfast (bread, toast , cereal, yoghurt, fruit, tea and coffee, orange and apple juice) with a cooked option as well for breakfast (which was 3 ingredients on a rotation basis). All in a ll a decent selection to load up on energy before hitting the slopes

After ski - a freshly made cake by the chalet host (Rob in our case) with tea. Nice cake and provided an alternative to the apres ski bars (more about those later). I would have called it apres ski but that doesnt seem the right term with no alcohol (feel free to add your own though)

Dinner - 3 course menu cooked by the chalet host. Really decent food. Also came wth very free flowing red wine. Although the wine came from a plastic bottle it was perfectly nice and went down very well.. Food just as good as any ski hotel we have stayed in.

Location:Plenty of descriptions on the internet describe it as being 1 minute from the funicular and 3 minutes from the slope. A better/more accurate description would be 3-4 minutes walk in ski boots from the lift (so close) and about 15-20 minutes walk in non ski boots from the resort centre. All the Thomson (crystal) staff have asked for this description to be changed. There are 3 apres ski bars at the base of the funicular, the most lively by far is fables, well worth a visit. Rammed every night. The other two are an "igloo" stykle bar and a quieter neighbour, which stays open past 10 if you want somewhere a bit nearer than town.

Town centre:3 bars..the mexicana, bar 66 and the memory bar. bar 66 is normally lively, the mexicana was pretty full as well (and bar dancers). Memory was a bit quieter, but had free wifi. Alsoa fair selection of restaurants (we ate in the fondue restauraunt near the ski hire shop on the chalet hosts night off - which was all you can eat for 18 euros ..and yes they did try and test that theory!).

Ski area:HUGE! register your ski pass at www.skiline.cc and it will give you your weeks ski stats. Snow was superb when we were there as well.

Just a word on the crystal staff (and no I am not paid by them!!) superb. Rob , our chalet host was a good laugh, and a great host, Kim the rep and Anna the resor chalet manager were also very helpful friendly and approachable.

All in all a deceent resort (not quite so hedonistic as some, but the lack of bars meant that they were busier rather than having hundereds of quiet bars with 2 people in each). Very good ski base , which gave pretty much everything you could want (apart from wifi). If this was a review it would get 4 stars out of 5

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

Don't know if you have tried already but normally if a property does not exist you have to submit a review with all the properties details (as much as possible).

Go to the bottom of TA page and in small print click on "write a review"

Tick the appropriate box e.g. Hotel then put the name and location of the property and click search. When it can't find it it say "Tell us more about it"

click on it and fill out the property details - in your case I would make sure you state it is a Thomson/Crystal catered chalet to avoid any confusion as it is not an independant proprty.

Your biggest problem is that "catered chalets" don't really exist as in independant property like a Hotel, B&B or apartements that are individually owned and you can deal directly with the owner.

Catered chalets often owned by an individual (possibly local) not the company you have gone with. The chalet is then rented by a holiday company e.g. Thomsons/Crystal then ran as a catered chalet for the season putting in their own staff.

You can't go on the Internet and find the chalet and contact the chalet directly.

Do you for instance know the exact address of the property - is required by TA review submissions

Also "Chalet" won't be used by a local to describe a property. UK tour operators have carried this across from France/Switzerland holidays. "Catered Chalet" in Austria from UK tour operators (and catered chalet is a UK only thing) is a very recent thing in skiing accommodation terms although it has been going on in Switzerland/France for many years.

Enzian is a blue alpine flower so loads of places/hotels/Hotel rooms get called Enzian

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

After reading the review by IbizaNick_7, my husband and I along with friends, stayed in Chalet Enzian from 22nd Feb 2014 to 1st March 2014. I have to say that the review by IbizaNick_7 was spot on! We were all a little anxious about the food but it was amazing! I am a vegetarian and I had really lovely meals every day. Also, I was a little worried about the fact that we would have to share 2 toilets and 2 showers amongst 10 of us but this was no problem at all and I never had to wait to use either! Our chalet host was Katrina and she was outstanding! She was very welcoming and approachable and responded to any requests with ease. My husband had a skiing accident on the first day and all the Crystal staff were great! As mentioned above, we can’t compliment them enough. One of the reps, Tom got us a full refund on my husband’s skiing lessons and was happy to help us with anything we needed, for example, whether we needed a wheelchair for our trip around Saltzburg and even booked us a taxi back to the chalet when we happened to bump into him after the Skiing Display in the main town at Ellmau. We did have wifi in the chalet which also helped with having to email the travel insurance company details of the accident and treatment! We definitely recommend staying at Chalet Enzian, Ellmau and would love to go back!!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

After reading the review by IbizaNick_7, my husband and I along with friends, stayed in Chalet Enzian from 22nd Feb 2014 to 1st March 2014. I have to say that the review by IbizaNick_7 was spot on! We were all a little anxious about the food but it was amazing! I am a vegetarian and I had really lovely meals every day. Also, I was a little worried about the fact that we would have to share 2 toilets and 2 showers amongst 10 of us but this was no problem at all and I never had to wait to use either! Our chalet host was Katrina and she was outstanding! She was very welcoming and approachable and responded to any requests with ease. My husband had a skiing accident on the first day and all the Crystal staff were great! As mentioned above, we can’t compliment them enough. One of the reps, Tom got us a full refund on my husband’s skiing lessons and was happy to help us with anything we needed, for example, whether we needed a wheelchair for our trip around Saltzburg and even booked us a taxi back to the chalet when we happened to bump into him after the Skiing Display in the main town at Ellmau. We did have wifi in the chalet which also helped with having to email the travel insurance company details of the accident and treatment! We definitely recommend staying at Chalet Enzian, Ellmau and would love to go back!!

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

Stayed here over Christmas 2013 and similarly to the above found the chalet itself to be very comfortable. We wouldn't stay again however as the chalet atmosphere of all the guests mixing was not for us. I work away on a ship for 6 months of the year and so come on holiday to spend time with my girlfriend and not strangers for the whole holiday as the rest of the chalet seemed to like doing. Comfortable seating area with WiFi throughout the chalet which was a bonus and a pleasant room. Our only criticism was of Katrina, the hostess. I am not fussy when it comes to house keeping but the state of the kitchen was disgusting and really off putting to eat the food prepared in there. It was an absolute mess and dirty in there and food such as bread was left uncovered and so it was stale when served to eat in the morning. Another off putting thing about a chalet holiday was the other guests there insisting on helping clear the plates away and do the washing up afterwards - I am on holiday and have paid for the privilege of having these things done for me for one week a year and so she shouldn't have let the guests help all the time. Often lazy as well, sometimes appearing after us at breakfast still in her pyjamas. We were not early birds either as only went for breakfast 30 minutes before leaving for the slopes! All this said though the Crystal reps were fantastic, Tom and Grant. They went out of their way to help us all week and did Crystal proud.

L L
Preston, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

I stayed here in March this year with Crystal. I went with a group of friends and we booked out all the rooms. We all had a fantastic time. The chalet itself was just what we expected from the pictures and the Crystal staff were great. Catrina our host was brilliant, unlike the reviewer above we found her to be excellent and the food prepared was of a high standard. I am a little bit fussy and we also had some dietary requirements within the group but Catrina was flexible and accommodated these needs well. She was very friendly and made us all feel very welcome. The Reps Tom and Grant were good too and we often saw them around (particularly Grant!). The wifi wasn't working when we were there but we we given extra wine to make up for it, suited all of us! As a first time skier myself I found the location to be great. The chalet is close to a ski bus stop and also to the Hartkaiser Funicular. Make sure you check which ski pass you have because some of them do not let you on this and so you are limited to the Ellmau area. This is particularly applicable to people who book the beginner lessons package through Crystal with ski pass included. My friends who are more experienced would perhaps have preferred a bit more snow and so we would recommend going earlier in the season. Overall we had a fantastic time.

L L
Preston, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

I stayed here in March this year with Crystal. I went with a group of friends and we booked out all the rooms. We all had a fantastic time. The chalet itself was just what we expected from the pictures and the Crystal staff were great. Catrina our host was brilliant, unlike the reviewer above we found her to be excellent and the food prepared was of a high standard. I am a little bit fussy and we also had some dietary requirements within the group but Catrina was flexible and accommodated these needs well. She was very friendly and made us all feel very welcome. The Reps Tom and Grant were good too and we often saw them around (particularly Grant!). The wifi wasn't working when we were there but we we given extra wine to make up for it, suited all of us! As a first time skier myself I found the location to be great. The chalet is close to a ski bus stop and also to the Hartkaiser Funicular. Make sure you check which ski pass you have because some of them do not let you on this and so you are limited to the Ellmau area. This is particularly applicable to people who book the beginner lessons package through Crystal with ski pass included. My friends who are more experienced would perhaps have preferred a bit more snow and so we would recommend going earlier in the season. Overall we had a fantastic time.

7. Re: Chalet Enzian review (Ellmau , Austria)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 15, 2015