We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austria in 14 days

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Austria in 14 days

My partner & I have 14 days in Austria. We are basing ourselves in Zell am See & were looking to travel around returning back there daily. Does anyone have any suggestions on:

1) Transport - car hire v train travel

2) Best areas to visit

We love walking, sightseeing & good food, so any suggestions would be greatly received.

Kindest Regards

Emma

Kitzsteinhorn
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Schmittenhohe
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Hiking Trails
Lake Zell
Bodies of Water
Zell Am See
Beach & Pool Clubs, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austria in 14 days

With fourteen days I'd be tempted to base yourself in more than one place. I like Zell, but I'm not sure it would keep me occupied for more than a few days and many lovely parts of Austria are more than a day trip away.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austria in 14 days

We decided to base ourselves in one place (Zell am See) as I had serious abdominal surgery in April and we didnt want to be carrying luggage around too much. I have been given the nod by my doctor & have been training for hill walking but not heavy lifting of luggage.

It is our first time in Austria but we had heard there are plenty of sights within 2 hours of Zell am See? We are used to getting up early, driving & not returning too early from our road trips in the US.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austria in 14 days

Well four things you must do if based in Zell.

1) Hop on bus to Kaprun and do the Sigmund-Thun-Gorge.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g608661-…

2) Hop on bus to Kaprun and go up the Kitzsteinhorn

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g608666-…

3) Kaprun Dam. See this trip report from Liz

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k57…

4) Cable car in Zell

You are on a railway line of course so can go all over the place. Maybe a good idea to look at what trains leave Zell daily and where they go.

Does your Hotel give you a Zell am See/Kaprun card?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austria in 14 days

Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Unfortunately we dont get the card with our hotel.

In your opinion would it be worth hiring a car for a few days?

Many Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austria in 14 days

77--when are you going? If summer, then I would recommend spending a day driving the Grossglockner High Alpine Road and exploring along the way to and from your home base.

Do you think you might manage 2 home bases--so just having to handle luggage one more time? 14 days in Zell am See would bore me pretty quickly. But you know your boredom tolerance best.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austria in 14 days

I meant to add that, yes, lots of nice places to visit are within 2 hours drive, or close to it. For example, Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Innsbruck, the Stubaital. Even northern Italy is fairly close.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austria in 14 days

Thanks so much for the suggestions, will definately look into them all. I had heard that the Alpin Road was good & as we are visiting early September , the weather should be ok & most roads accessible.

Would you suggest hiring a car, rather than relying on public transport?

Totally understand about staying in one place, we have in the past stayed in over 10 places on our hols, but as this year has been quite turbulent & anything is more interesting than being in a hospital bed:)

Thanks again, we are very much looking forward to a break.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Austria in 14 days

I would use a mix of car and public transport depending on what you want to do on a particular day.

We like road trips, so, for example, if we wanted to visit Berchtesgaden from Zell am See, we would probably do it by car so we could make a full day/evening of it making stops along the way to see/experience whatever interests us--either planned in advance or whatever we happen to see while driving along. This would be impossible by public transport.

On the other hand, if I had only one day to visit Salzburg and I wanted to see as much as possible in the city and have no interest in sights between Zell and Salzburg, I would probably use public transport.

I would definitely drive myself for something like the Grossglockner High Alpine Road--a bus tour of the road would not have allowed nearly as much time as we wanted for stops along the route.

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Austria in 14 days

Oh, if you do want to drive the Grossglockner road, have your hotel check the weather on your planned day--it's possible to have bad weather up there any time of the year. We did have to change our Grossglockner drive plans because of sleet and mixed rain and snow on the day we originally planned to drive it.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Austria in 14 days

Cheers for all the advice!!