We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

cambridge
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

I hope you can help

Being a organisation freak I much prefer to pre book everything.

I am travelling to Mayrhofen between the 3rd weekend in January - first weekend in February (undecided). The problem is all flights are currently high and the hotel/apartments are not advertising 4 day holidays for obvious reasons.

We would like to travel from a Wednesday/Thursday - Sunday/Monday.

In your opinion do you think we would be ok waiting for last minute and do you have any experiences in this? Or should we change resort.

Thanks as always for your help

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

Car or public transport?

Which airports?

Obviously Hoteliers are unwiling to take a short break booking well in advance. In addition you make it worse by straddling a weekend which basically affects 2 weeks.

Apartments are often fixed at 7 days Sat to Sat.

I go every year exactly the same time ( end of jan/start of Feb) for a long weekend. Normally at Ischgl. However I can afford to wait until the last minute for both Hotels and resorts if I wish. Even made a last minute decision to go to Selva/wolkenstein (val Gardena). Always by car so have flexibility. I am also flexible to for example arriving wed or thursday and departing Sat or Sun morning something that you won't be when your flights are fixed.

End of Jan/start of Feb sees the start of high season prices.

It may be easier to look at arriving on a saturday leaving on a wednesday so you don't straddle 2 weeks but you should maybe also flexible inyour choice of resorts?

If you don't have a car then you are restricted

If specifically you want Mayrhofen (skiing area) you may have to settle with one of the satelite villages like Finkenberg, Burgstall, Schwendau.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

If you go in January- I would think no harm in waiting late to make reservations as this is low season and accomodations willing to accept shorter stays.

The mayrhofen tourist office can be a good source of assistance in locating a place to fit your budget and needs.

www.mayrhofen.at

Even better chance if you desire Pension / B and B type places- these almost always clean , nice and well prices with a good breakfast.

Near the gondola lift in close by Finkenberg can be a good alternative.

Many places close by this good lift -hotels , pension apartments

This lift takes you directly up to the major area above mayrhofen- Penken-Penken joch Gerent etc.

same lift pass too.

I would carefully check air flights British Air had flights last year in winter for skiers.

I friend tells me KLM/ Air France will have partner flights this winter connecting in Amsterdamto at least Salzburg and probably Innsbruck.

cambridge
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

Hi. Right, flights are booked for 6th february and staying until the 10th. We are arriving into Innsbruck in the morning, are hoping to train journey down to mayrhofen and lift passes booked.

It's just the right hotel now and to wonder if we should wait or pay for hotel now

Ggrrraa!! What to do

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

Well firstly why have you booked skipasses in advance when you don'T have a hotel and what benefit is there. Interesting to know what you paid and through whom.

Seen this "offered" by various UK package holiday companies to prebook with a grand saving of ........ nothing.

In fact somebody recently quoted a price for pre-booking through a UK company which was €30 more expensive (for 6 days) than just turning up and buying on the day.

Secondly and most importantly you are going to have a big problem. You've chosen to cross one of the peak weekends.

The kids half term in a number of states in Austria and Germany begins on 9th February. This week especially Hoteliers etc will be looking for full weeks. If you get the opportunity I would suggest you take what you can.

cambridge
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

Thanks for your response. I've booked the ski passes through www.mayrhofener-bergbahnen.com cost at 310 euro for four days / 2 people. Since then I have had hotel offers which include ski passes.

I have contacted the company to cancel the order so I can get the passes through the hotel. Still struggling to get the booking for hotel but hunting high and low.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

A Hotel might offer what is called a "Pauschale". This is an offer where a local hotel may offer a number of nights accommodation including skipass plus half board.

As such you don't get the skipass cheaper you are just getting the overall package cheaper than booking the parts individually.

This happens a lot all over Austria. Normally at slower times than peak season.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

My opinion regarding accomodations- Mayrhofen area is large enough that you should have little trouble finding satisfactory places even near to your travel date.

As I mentioned above the tourist office can be your easiest and convenient source of info and booking possibilities.

Youi mentioned apartments in your first questions and I can recommend these places-

very nice in a quiet place in mayrhofen

Haus Appartment hotel Veronika-

well maintained and themed - family owned and managed -

www.apparthotel.com

In Finkenberg - just above Mayrhofen and direct access to major lifts and skiing- same tift ticket for all.

Appartements Austria-

small just a few apartments- very nice place-

www.appartements-austria.at

Just across the street from this apartment

Hotel Neuwirt - nice hotel with excelent kitchen

cambridge
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

All booked now. Thanks for the responses.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

Enjoy your trip

10. Re: Advise on last minute bookings to Mayrhofen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mayrhofen
Recent Conversations