We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

Which Mayrhofen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dubai
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

Hey Guys,

My first post here....Need your help. I am going to Munich with me wife during first week of December. I am then driving down to Mayrhofen - Austria from the airport (200 kms drive). I have never driven in such cold weather and was wondering if my rental compact car (automatic - compact car) will be ok. Should I pay for additional snow tires or should I invest in snow chains. Any help will be appreciated as I am totally clueless.

Cheers

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

Welcome to the Trip Advisor Austria forum.

Be certain to have snow tires on your rental auto.

From November - April 15 , snow tires are required by law for driving in winter snow and ice conditions in Austria .

Previously , some rental offices in lower Germany did not automaticaslly place snow tires on rentals. I believe this slowly changes but be certain your rental has them. Contact your rental firm to confirm this.

Chains can be a hard things to place on the wheels for those not familiar .

These are not good for driving at any higher speed on better highways and most likely not needed .

The drive from Munich airport to Mayrhofen can be done almost entirely on major autobahns excepting the last portion from the area just off the A-12 autobahn by Jenbach into the Zillertal and Mayrhofen.

This roadway #169 is still a good 2 lane roadway and is well maintained.

Be certain to buy a vignette / highway use sticker before entering Austria.

These can be purchased at many gas stations on the autobahn before entering Austria or directly at a large kiosk in the middle of the autobahn plaza at the border.

Signs advertising " Vignettes " will advertise these places.

cost is 7,90 euro for 10 days

this must be placed on your windshield - directions on the vignette -

a large fine payable immediately if found without it.

easy directions can be followed by looking here

www.viamichelin.com

www.mayrhofen.at

compact auto should be ok subject to the amount of luggage you have - but remember - horsepower and thus passing ability may not be the best - use good judgment relative to distance - and keep to the right to allow faster traffic to pass.

Also watch for zebra striped pedestrian crossing zones on regular roadways, Pedestrians in these marked areas have the " Right of way "

Some just step off the sidewalk expecting you to stop.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

I should add that you can also drive from Munich area via Bad Tolz, Tegernsee , Achensee to Jenbach and onward to Mayrhofen.

This mostly on secondary roadways- must watch carefully for directions and for the first time visitor the autobahn route perhaps easier and faster.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

If the weather is snowing, I would stick to the highways. It's a very easy drive via highways to Mayrhofen. We did this route in 2009 from the Munich to Mayrhofen.

After leaving Munich, follow signs/highway heading towards Salzburg, Austria. Take the exit for Kufstein/Innsbruck and you'll take the final road 169 (good road, not a highway) into the Zillertal to Mayrhofen.

Be sure to have winter tires and to buy a "Vignette" for driving on Austrian highways. Rest stops/gas stations along the highway after leaving Munich sell them.

paul

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

Many of the hire car companies at Munich airport are automatically fitting Winter tyres. Companies such as Sixt and Avis.

If you book through an "agent" you may not necessarily get a company that is autmatically fitting Winter tyres so important to check.

The drive is pretty easy. I do it regularly throughout the year. Often drive to Mayrhofen for a days skiing.

So as to clarify what Paul means above is you take the A8 South towards Salzburg then the A93 Inntal Autobahn which is signposted Innsbruck/Kufstein/Brenner (I)

The A93 becomes the A12 in Austria - the "Exit" from the A12 to Mayrhofen and the Zillertal is simply signposted "Zillertal"

(The town of Kufstein has its own Exit" - not to confuse as Exit generally means leaving the Autobahn/Motorway/Autoroute etc)

Your only problem (other than possibly the weather) is what day and what time of day.

The A8 Salzburger Autobahn is a major commuter route hence Mon-Fri after 4pm traffic will start to build up. The A99 east can also can get busy. Where the A9 joins the A99 East the traffic often slows

The problems on the A8 are compounded by the steep hill at Irschenberg where all the lorries crawl up thereby slowing the traffic. This area is no stranger to accidents.

Weekends the A8 will be busy with ski traffic generally whether people going on holiday or for a days skiing (normally early morning). If a really nice sunny day additional traffic with day trippers can bulk out the traffic over the day itself

dubai
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

Thanks guys appreciate the help. I think I will rent a Navigation system just to be on a safer side :) also my car rental company is Thirfty so I am assuming winter tires will already be available. Also I am told that the rental car will have Vignette already. But will still check....thanks again and please keep the replies coming as I am both nervous and excited to my first visit to Austria :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

Hi again,

Check on the winter tires, meaning contact Thrifty and ask. Better to find out now than when you're picking up the car. The car will have a "Vignette" already? When you pick up the car, check to see if it's on the windshield. Here's what you'll be looking for:

…about.com/od/austria/qt/vignette-austria.htm

If it doesn't have one, simply buy one at a gas station before entering Austria. You'll see them advertised. It's only 8 Euro for a Vignette good for 10 consecutive days.

A compact car should be no problem either. We always rent a compact car. Last year we had a Ford Fiesta.

Driving in Germany and Austria is easy. Stay to the right on highways. Be careful passing, as cars in the left (passing lane) can come upon you quickly. Without snow, you should have no problems. I actually find driving in Germany and Austria easier than driving here in the NY area.

Paul

7. Re: Info needed. Driving from Munich to Zillertal (Mayrhofen)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, November 18, 2012