We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

Which Mayrhofen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

Hi,

I know that weather is hard to predict these days, but I would like to hear form someone that's been there at least a few times through the years. I was in Mayrhofen last FEB and although the conditions were really good, there wasn't any fresh snow at all. How is the weather in Dec and January? Also, I see that Snowbombing is at the beginning of APR every year - is it snowing at this time of the year or everything on the slopes is from cannons ? Thanks in advance !

Edited: 6:51 am, September 22, 2011
Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

You basically answered your question in the first sentance "I know that weather is hard to predict these days"

It's almost impossible to predict if there will be any fresh snow at any one time unless you check the forecasts a few days ahead. Fresh snow can fall at any point in the season and even checking the days that snow fell in previous years is no gaurantee to what will happen in the coming year.

If your really concerned about having fresh snow then check the conditions a few days ahead and book somewhere at the last minute wheher it be Mayrhofen or elsewhere.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

Thing is I want to book in advance and weather forecast some days in advance is not useful in this situation. So I know that there is no guarantee that the same thing that happened 5-10 years in a roll will happen again this year, but I think that there is a good chance that if December was a good month for example, it will be a good month again. Thanks for the answer, though .

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

I would pick January - sometime after the 6th as that date is usually the end of the Christmas/ New Years Holiday.

Not just fewer people but cheaper accomodations too .

January normally sees cold temperatures and some good snowfall.

With the numerous higher areras between Penkenjoch and the Eggalm ,also on the Gerent some chance of fine powder - impossible to predict for certain but a better chance - this based upon many years in Mayrhofen.

In January with fewer skiers - more un skied powder possibilities after a snow also.

Just a few days ago , the entire area has a good snow dall 30 cm. + this not the norm and hopefully an omen for the winter.

In January expect some colder temperatures and a few grey days too.

December- the beginning of the season - less predictable and lesser chance of excelent snow cover.

February sees the beginning of " High Season " again- a time for winter school vacations and more visitors.

Things like Snowbombing are ways to extend the ski season for added revenue - normally not a time of heavy snows or extra good snow-

warmer tempertures and hotter sun can cause some troubles too.

Also realize that toward the end of a ski season - no economic reason to make snow - also know that some piste areas are rented from area farmers - these places used for summer grazing of cows or hay cutting .

The farmer does not want extra snow on his land to hinder this .

Thus some places after a certian time -no snow making is done .

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

Thanks a lot, vertical, that was a great answer !

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,291 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

Also bear in mind you can't use the snow cannons/snow making if the temperature isn't low enough in the first case.

As all said nobody can predict the weather but generally December and March would be the questionable months for many places. In December seen huge dumps of snow and been skiing at low altitude (600m) first week in December - other years lovely green pastures. March could be good -- or grass skiing.

A few years ago the skiing season in Tirol in the lower resorts was devasted (skiwelt, kitzbühel). It was more or less green the entire season. Mayrhofen one that bore a lot better than others - after all its main ski area on the Penken is 95% above 1500m

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

While I have seen mayrhofen grow and change over the pasdt years .

It still has good memories for me.

A fine ski circus above with good connections - a good place for a winter ski vacation -

accomodations in most all categories too. some night life

7. Re: Best time to visit Mayerhofen in the winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 23, 2012