We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo Round Up

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buffalo Round Up

From what I understand, every year at the end of September there is a round up of the buffalo herd. I think this year it will be on Friday, September 27. We will be visiting the park on the 25th or 26th. I was really hoping to be able to see the buffalo out in the wild, on the road, etc. Are they still roaming free prior to the round up where this might be possible, or is there some preliminary marshalling of the animals prior to Friday's drive to the corrals? thanks for the help.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo Round Up

Hopefully someone else will answer this. If no one does, I would call the Custer State Park HQ at 605-255-4515.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo Round Up

Mountainmama52 is very familiar with the roundup, as she has attended. If she doesn't answer within a day or so, send her a private message. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can still see the bison in the wild in the days prior.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffalo Round Up

You should still be able to see the herds roaming wild in the park. I would suggest, however, you stop a ranger or stop at the Peter Norbeck Visitor Center, across from the State Game Lodge, and ask where the buffalo herds were last spotted. They usually can give you a pretty good idea where to find the herds. The older bulls are not rounded up and can usually be seen throughout Custer State Park. Wind Cave National Park also has buffalo herds that are not included in the roundup and can be seen roaming wild. It is too bad you won't be there on Sept. 27th. The Roundup is a fantastic experience.

Custer, South Dakota
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffalo Round Up

Hi

we were in CSP today (9/19) and we did see lots of buffalo, although they seem to only be on the extreme south part of the wildlife loop. i think they may have started to round them and put them in a central area in order to make the official roundup easier . (this is only my opinion, not based on fact!)

but, for whatever reason, the bison were down south. we took a short ride on the red valley road and saw lots of bison on the hills. i would recommend checking that area out ...

have fun!

5. Re: Buffalo Round Up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, January 29, 2014
6. Re: Buffalo Round Up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 01, 2015