We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer Campground Reservation?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Custer Campground Reservation?

Is it necessary to have reservations for Mid September?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Custer Campground Reservation?

Since no one else has answered, I will give this a shot. While I have not camped at Custer, I do camp most summer weekends in the state, often using the state park reservation system. Go to campsd.com. Custer is reservable up to a year in advance. You can check availability for the dates that interest you to see how full the campgrounds are. If you are pulling your camper across the state and plan on camping at other state parks, those are reservable only ninety days in advance. Parks outside the Hills won't be busy enough in Sept. to necessitate a reservation. If no one else who knows more posts on this, I would make the reservations at Custer. Better safe than sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
919 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custer Campground Reservation?

Other then Labor Day Weekend, and the annual buffalo roundup, at the end of the month, the month of Sept is usually a lot quieter, but as 3174 said, better safe then sorry.

http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/campsd.aspx

Mind you, this is not the most user friendly reservation website I've seen.

Good camping!

Edited: 4:31 pm, April 12, 2013
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
919 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custer Campground Reservation?

The dates for the Round up are 9/27-28/2013

http://gfp.sd.gov/calendar.aspx

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Custer Campground Reservation?

Howdy, Mid Sept is a great time to be camping in the Custer area. Lots of facilities available. Most families are back home because of school but many folks without kids or with home-schooled kids are enjoying the Hills. You can find campgrounds to just drop in as you travel through but if you prefer the peace of mind of already haveing your site, making reservations is a good idea. Going to www.custersd.com gives you a great way to check out the many good campgrounds in the Custer City area. Custer State Park is right next door and you will find their campgrounds are always booked or almost so. They do reserve a nice campground for first come/first served. Let us know if we can help. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Custer State Park
Custer State Park
4,728 Reviews
Custer, SD
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Custer Campground Reservation?

Thank you for your responses. This is our first post retirement fall camping trip. We will be heading to Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri. Have some states to fill in on our camper map!! We have reservations for our first two states. To early for ND. I think we will wing it once we get into Nebraska. We plan on being gone for three weeks.

We have been to SD before and stayed at Rafter J Bar. Didn't see Crazy Horse at that time. We will be there 3 nights. Three nights Devils Lake WIS. three nights Silver Bay MN. One night (Motel) East Grand Forks MN, Two nights Ft Stevenson SP ND. Two nights Medora ND. I retired from 40 years of having a Home Day Care Dec 30. Had surgery Jan 7 for a ruptured Achilles Tendon (this is my first week on my own two feet) planning this trip has made my LONG winter go a little faster.

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
6. Re: Custer Campground Reservation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 15, 2014