We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If not Custer State Park...where?

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
If not Custer State Park...where?

Custer State Park is booked for the time we wish to be in the area. Where would be the next best place for two adults to stay? We plan to be in the area for about four days toward the end of July. Would prefer to spend no more than $200 per night. Peaceful and quiet is good.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If not Custer State Park...where?

For 2 adults, I'd recommend Hill City. The Holiday Inn Express is pretty well rated on this site, and Hill City is a quiet town compared to Keystone. Both Keystone and Hill City are great locations for touring. In Keystone, you might enjoy K Bar S Lodge, but they might be booked. I tried to reserve there at the end of July this year, but they were already sold out. You could call and try for a cancellation, however. K Bar S is the only hotel in Keystone has actually has a view of the faces of Mt Rushmore.

The town of Custer is also an option, and there's a Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn there that are both highly rated. I believe the Holiday Inn is relatively new. Keep in mind that Custer is not quite as close to the attractions as the other 2.

Please let us know if we can help further.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If not Custer State Park...where?

Thank you so much. I believe we will try Hill City. We are looking forward to our trip. We are in our mid-seventies and the last time I was in the area I was 14 years old. Thank you for your help.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If not Custer State Park...where?

You are going to have a great time. It's fun to return to places you've been many years ago and see what has changed. I visited Rocky Mountain National Park when I was 16 and will be returning there this year, and I am now in my mid forties! I'm excited too.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to order the travel planner at travelsd.com. It's a great resource and will really help you in your trip planning.

Let us know if other questions arise.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If not Custer State Park...where?

Have you considered a vacation home/cottage?. I just booked a cottage in Custer through VRBO which has lots of ameneties (separate bedroom, full kitchen, fireplace, etc.) for under $150 a night. It's located in a quiet area just outside of town, so we're looking forward to being close to the attractions for our day activities and enjoying the stars from the private hot tub at night!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If not Custer State Park...where?

Thanks to both of you. Yes I have ordered the travel planner and have looked at their information on-line. This is late planning for us for such a popular destination. We have used VRBO for both Switzerland and the USVI's. I forgot we could us it in the good old USA. Thank you for the reminder.

6. Re: If not Custer State Park...where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 11, 2014