We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

We will be staying near Red Rim Canyon, I believe it is about 45 min south west of Custer. I would like to take the family mining for gold and horse back riding. Any outfits that stand out for either event? How about a dude ranch, an all day affair, riding all day, eating, closing with a camp fire? Nothing overnight though....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,429 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

There is horseback riding, etc. in Custer State Park. Gold mining is available I think at Custer SP and I know at Broken Boot and Big Thunder gold mines.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

You can also pan for gold at Wade's Gold Mill in Hill City. I have not been here yet, but they say it's a little less touristy than some of the others. Here's the website:

wadesgoldmill.com

One of the most talked about stables on here is Blue Bell Stables in Custer State Park. I've also heard positive things about Andy's Trail Rides in Deadwood. I was thinking if you went to Blue Bell, you could possibly do their Chuck Wagon Dinner that evening. Although it's a little pricier than others, many enjoy the quality. The food at Blue Bell Lodge is excellent, and although I've not done the chuckwagon dinner, if it's anything like the lodge meals, it will be very good.

Have a great time!

Level Contributor
2 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

Blue bell lodge has pretty much what you are requesting.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

This year we went horseback riding with Andy Trail Rides (in Lead, SD) and really liked it. I would highly recommend them. The horses were great and were selected based on the riders skill - my 6 year old got a horse that really needed no input from the rider and I got the tallest horse as it was harder to get on and off. The views from the trail were incredible. We did a one hour ride, and based on that my butt could only handle a 2 hour ride. Blacktail Horseback Rides in Deadwood is also highly rated here in TA.

Mining for gold - do you want to see an old mine, pay a bit to get a small plastic bag of dirt to pan for gold or do you want to go to a claim and spend 1/2 to a full day panning for Gold? I believe that Big Thunder does everything - Mine Tour, Gold Panning and off-site Gold Panning.

We toured Big Thunder Mine, but had the kids panned for gold (a small plastic bag of dirt) at the mining museum in Lead. I can recommend both of these places too.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

We think panning for half a day would be great. Pack food, relax, pan away!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

Any more suggestions of real gold mining near the Black hills and Custer? We would like to do the real thing, no bag...

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

Howdy, Custer State Park has had youth programs on gold panning. You could check with their program schedule to see what is available this season. They also have a very popular geocaching program for adults as well as youth. Previous above comments have been right about the great trail rides at Blue Bell. Blue Bell Lodge also is the start of the Hayride Chuck Wagon Cookout; great steaks and family entertainment with their singing cowboys. There's also water sport rentals all right handy. So much to do conveniently right in the park

'Real' gold panning can legally be done on any US Forest Service property but most of the property along the streams was staked as private property ages ago and you don't want to trespass. Course, if you strike it rich, the state and IRS will want their cut. Go for it and enjoy. Let us know if we can help at www.custersd.com .

8. Re: Gold mining for vacationers near Custer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 08, 2014