We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer State Park

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Custer State Park

I have heard from a lot of people that Custer State Park is not as impressive as Yellowstone and is actually a let down. I am planning on staying in Custer, South Dakota and going to Custer State Park but now I am not sure. I also heard that Wind Cave was not worth going to? We are planning on going to Jewel Cave but someone posted something about their elevators not working? Our trip is fast approaching and I want to have everything figured out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
728 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Custer State Park

Custer State Park is wonderful for seeing a lot of wildlife in a short period of time with just an hour and a half drive and has nice scenic rolling hills, but to compare it at all to Yellowstone National Park is sort of silly, I think. Yellowstone is an international destination with a stunning array of wildlife - including wolves and moose - mountains, and a phenomenal assortment of geothermal features like geysers, mudpots, and all sorts of things that are hard to find anywhere else in North America. Grand Teton National Park is also literally right next door to Yellowstone, offering some of the prettiest mountain scenery in the country. So if you are spending time in South Dakota and Wyoming to see Yellowstone and the Tetons, I would allocate 1-2 days for the Black Hills for every 4-5 spent in Wyoming. If you're going to just be in the Black Hills and not go further west into Wyoming, Custer SP will be your best bet to see bison, pronghorns, deer, and burros. ... But to sum up, of course Custer SP would suffer by comparison to Yellowstone. Many people think Yellowstone is our most amazing national park out of many gems.

Edited: 8:34 pm, August 23, 2012
12. Re: Custer State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 25, 2013