We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park resorts

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Park resorts

Which is the best of the custer resorts for a family of five in June 2013. Are there any that don't have air conditioning? This family believes camping should be holiday inn or the marrott.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,958 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park resorts

Here is a link to info-

http://www.custerresorts.com/

We've eaten at the lodges but never stayed there.

Good luck!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park resorts

I am a little confused. What exactly are you looking for? Are you camping? want a cabin? Do not want air conditioning? IMO, none of the resorts in Custer State Park mimick any of the chain hotels. State Game Lodge's newer additions would probably be the resort, out of the four, that would most resemble a chain hotel. And after saying that, I still would not compare the resort to the chain hotels. All four resorts have housekeeping and/or sleeping cabins as well as campgrounds with camping cabins. Whether all the cabins are air conditioned, I am not sure. We have only stayed at the Blue Bell Lodge, camped as well as rented a cabin, and absolutely loved this little resort. However, it has been about 8 years since we rented one of their cabins and I cannot remember if the cabin was air-conditioned or not. We were in one of the original cabins, which was very quaint but older. Even though days in the Black Hills can get very warm, evenings are almost always cool enough that air-conditioning is not needed. Unless you are planning on coming the end of June, you can expect daytime temps in the 70's and possibly low 80's with evening temps dipping as low as the 50's. If it is raining, which early and mid June tends to be, it can be even cooler.

As far as which resort would be best for a family of 5, all four are family oriented. Legion Lake and Sylvan Lake both have nice little beaches, and I believe you can swim in the pond at one of the State Game Lodge's campgrounds. We experienced a ton of wildlife at Blue Bell Lodge and enjoyed the lodge diningroom. We also like the fact that it was more off the beaten path. The link PeachBelle provided should help in your decision.

Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Park resorts

We just stayed at 3 of the resorts last week- creekside at the game lodge, blue bell and sylvan lake. Enjoyed them all of them. Each could accommodate your family in cabins and all have a/c! Just depends On what you are looking for...

Sylvan Lake is a great recreation area with a great lake for canoeing, pedal boating or swimming. This area also has several great hikes and is convenient if traveling north. Maybe not so close if heading to wind cave or hot springs... We had a sleeping cabin which is nice, but only holds 4. They also have housekeeping cabins which can hold 8.

Bluebell was also a really nice resort with a great restaurant, chuckwagon cookout and trail rides. Convenient for Custer and Jewel Cave as well as wildlife loop.

The creekside lodge had nice hotel rooms that could sleep 6. It was very nice as well and we enjoyed our time here, but I don't think this area has as much to offer as the other areas of the park. It is convenient for the wildlife loop and the Iron Mtn Rd to Mt. Rushmore though.

Hope this helps !

4. Re: Park resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 22, 2013