We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of accomodation in Custer

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of accomodation in Custer

Hi

looking to book for 4 nights in Custer next July, narrowed it down to Chief Motel/Rocket Motel/or BW Buffalo Ridge.

Can anybody who has experienced these motels give me any advice.

Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

I held off responding because I was hoping someone who had actually experienced these places would respond. However, I see your question remains unanswered.

I will start by saying I have not experienced any of these properties. As you know, the Chief and Rocket are your "Mom and Pop concepts," whereas the BW will give the typical cookie cutter chain experience. Most of the time, I prefer chains, but the Rocket and Chief are much higher rated than the BW on this site. Both the Rocket and Chief get high marks for cleanliness, whereas some found the BW problematic in this area. The Rocket looks like a step back in time and does not have a pool. The bedding has been updated recently, however. The Chief does have a pool, so if that's important to you, I'd go for that one. Sometimes, you will get more personalized attention with a Mom and Pop than with a chain. I will say this. I have found that by looking at the reviews on this site, I have been rarely steered wrong. I'd go with a combination of the opininons here and your own personal needs and base you decision on those factors.

Good luck!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

Hi

thanks for your reply, I originally chose the BW but going by the trip advisor ratings started looking at the others, i was hoping to get some feedback from people that have actually stayed there especially English as l think we have totally different ideas on accomadation l often wonder what you Americans think of the hotels over here i feel quite ashamed at the quality of some especially when we have stayed at some basic motels over there that are 100% better than some so called decent hotels in England., we usually go for chains but the last road trip we did we stayed at a couple of motels and really enjoyed them, i am getting swayed by the swimming pool.

thanks again

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

Hi Essex,

I have never been outside the US, but I have heard that there are certainly different standards between the countries. There's even different standards amongst people here in this country. A colleague of mine thinks nothing of stopping at the 1st motel he sees, rather than referring to this site or just making a quick survey of the area. I can't travel like that.

A couple of years ago, we stayed in a Mom and Pop in West Yellowstone called the Alpine Motel. Although the accomodations were rather basic, the customer service was 2nd to none. I have never been treated so royally at any other motel, and I know the odds of my receiving this type of treatment at a chain are slim. A husband/wife team own and run the entire operation themselves. The wife cleans all the rooms, and the husband does much of the outdoor work. Both of them would greet the guests in th evening and ask them what they did each day. I hated to leave there. Not all Mom and Pops are created equal, but I'd certainly consider them again if well rated on this site. The Alpine is the #1 rated motel in West Yellowstone on this site for very good reason.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip, and we'd love to hear from you when you return.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

Can't comment on the other 2, but last summer we stayed for 2 nights at the Chief Motel. We don't like the chains - the mom & pop motels with parking at the door are what appeal to us the most and we loved the Chief Motel. (see my review August 2010) Clean, attractive room; no view but chairs outside your door to sit; nicely situated for Custer State Park and we got great use of the pool. If you were set on the chains, I'd say stick with what you're used to. But if you enjoyed the couple you stayed at before, then I think you'd like the Chief Motel.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

Hi Luvroadtrips

Thanks for your reply, yes we loved the motels we stayed in l think we will be booking the Chief Motel l read your review and the other reviews are very good. I really would love to come over and wing it just book a car and stop where we fancy but l dont think in in late July that would be a very good idea. Perhaps when we retire and can come and go when we like.

And Sirtravel l will post a trip report when we get back.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

Essexoldgirl

No it sure wouldn't be a good idea to wing it in July, lol. When we went in 2010, we didn't have a lot of time to see everything we wanted. But we loved the Black Hills area so much that we are planning to go again in 2012 to see some areas that we missed, as well as doing some parts of Montana and Wyoming that we missed. Hope you have a great trip and looking forward to your trip report when you get back.

7. Re: Choice of accomodation in Custer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 20, 2012