We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch suggestions in park

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
memphis, tn
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch suggestions in park

Planning a day trip to Custer State Park and the scenic drives. Can anyone provide a suggestion for the best way to accomplish this in a day and recommend a good stopping point for lunch? Or, Is there a good picnic area?

Thanks for you help!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,138 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

State Game Lodge has a delicious buffet with bison stew, vegetables, meats, salads and homemade pies.

In Custer SP drive the wildlife loop, go to Sylvan Lake and the Iron Mt. Rd.

Enjoy your visit.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

The State Game Lodge is a great option, and I also like Blue Bell Lodge. Sylvan Lake has an excellent picnic area if you are looking for an even more economical option.

Where did you decide to stay? It would be helpful to know so that we could recommend a route for your tour of the park. It can be seen in a day. People typically drive the Wildlife Loop early in the morning or closer to dusk to see the animals being most active. Also, it's important to drive Iron Mountain from south to north to see the best views of Rushmore. When you drive it this way, you will see Rushmore framed in the tunnels, and this a wonderful photo op.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

Great suggestions! We decided to stay in Keystone. I sure hope this all works out and we have some nice weather to see the park and all the sights.

We appreciate your help. I won't forget the south to north route.....

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

I was not impressed with the lunch options (food that has sat around plus iceburg lettuce only and paltry offerings at the salad bar; although I did like the bison stew) at the State Game Lodge. I liked Blue Bell much better.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

Logically, from Keystone, it's best to head west on 244 to 16/87, past Sylvan Lake and over the Needles. You can loop around the Wildlife Loop and up Iron Mt Rd to Rushmore.

If you want to drive the Wildlife Loop early in the morning, coming from Keystone, I'd try to head south on Iron Mt Rd. (I know...wrong way, right? LOL!) and cut over 753, past the Black Hills Playhouse, connecting with the lower portion of the Needles Hwy., then to the Wildlife Loop. Doing it this way makes for more backtracking, however. Although early evening or morning is an ideal time for doing this loop, you will see animals at various times.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

srltravelplan....we're staying at Hill City Holiday Inn Express. Haven't checked out the maps yet, but your driving suggestions to clancymel are great. any suggestions for us ??

we're planning on doing custer, wind cave and mount coolidge the same day.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

Mamame,

Logically speaking, it makes the most sense to head for Sylvan Lake first, then over the Needles Hwy. This is Rt. 16/87. Once you come out at 16A, continue south on 87, past Mt Coolidge and down to Wind Cave. Then go up and around the Wildlife Loop. Wind Cave Nat. Park joins the Wildlife Loop. Then you are in perfect position to head to Iron Mountain Rd, driving it from south to north so you get the best views of Rushmore before heading over 244 (west) back to Hill City.

This will be a busy, full day. :) Enjoy your trip.

8. Re: Lunch suggestions in park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 04, 2012