We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good time to visit

Framingham
Level Contributor
58 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
good time to visit

we are wondering when is a good time to visit custer and the badlands etc. we are thinking of anytime between late august thru september. would like to avoid crowds as much as possible. we have to be home mid sept. for a wedding. so that complicates it a bit.

any suggestions or comments?

Framingham
Level Contributor
58 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good time to visit

more info to above post. we like to do nature type things. want to go when the wildlife is around. prefer to avoid the round up end of sept. will not be traveling with kids. length of trip is flexible at this point

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good time to visit

Right after Labor day might be a good time since all the schools will be back in session. You might even find some good deals over Labor Day and the first week of September.

For wildlife then go to Custer SP and drive the wildlife loop.

Check out the website or order a travel guide for the Black Hills area at-

www.travelsd.com

Enjoy your trip!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good time to visit

I also like the area in late August, after the Sturgis Bike Rally. Rates drop in some places, as do the crowds, as some schools go back even prior to Labor Day.

Here's a list of my must sees for the area:

Badlands

Mt Rushmore

Crazy Horse

Wind Cave

Jewel Cave.

Custer State Park

Devil's Tower

These sights would take around 5 days or so, and once you look at the trip planner PeachBelle mentioned, you will probably add a few more.

Have a good time, and let us know if you have more questions.

Pierre, South Dakota
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: good time to visit

Joanel,

As PeachBelle8288 mentioned, traveling to South Dakota would be best after Labor Day. All the attractions will still be open, but there won’t be as many crowds after the holiday weekend.

I would also suggest looking at TravelSD.com for more details on different attractions in South Dakota. In addition to slrtravelplanner advice, if you enjoy outdoors and nature also look into Mickelson Trail in Hill City.

Good luck with your planning and I hope you enjoy your trip to South Dakota!

South Dakota Tourism

TravelSD.com

5. Re: good time to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, October 03, 2012