We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay traveling without kids

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay traveling without kids

Typically whenever we travel we stay in B&B's so I am looking for a historic, resort type atmosphere but without zillions of kids running around-love kids but I'm a teacher and it's the summer so... need I say more???

We are open to anytime in July or August-is any particular time better than others for (smaller) crowds??

State Game Lodge looks great-advice??

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay traveling without kids

Without kids, I think you'd like staying in Hill City. They do have some Bed and Breafasts, but I do not stay at these, so I'm not familiar. You can read the reviews on here by looking up Hill City lodging.

Hill City has a nice downtown to stroll that has some pretty neat shops ranging from crafts to Black Hills jewelry to your basic souvenirs. It is much less touristy than Keystone, IMO.

If you are really looking for the historic/resort concept, then any of the lodges at Custer SP would probably be enjoyable for you.

If you are looking for less crowds, I'd go for mid to late August (after Sturgis) when rates at some places actually go down. Many places, kids are back in school, so I find you see less youngsters in that time frame.

Have a wonderful trip.

Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay traveling without kids

thanks for the feedback-looking forward to our road trip and a little American history!!!

I did find a B&B in Hill City that looks really lovely so I am checking into that one, too

3. Re: Best place to stay traveling without kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 29, 2012