We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer area during Sturgis rally

Saint Paul...
1 post
Save Topic
Custer area during Sturgis rally

We have planned to stop on the way home from Colorado for a couple days to break up the ride home. We have been to Custer a few times with our boys. I just realized we will be arriving Wednesday night of Sturgis week and leaving that Saturday morning. I am wondering just how bad the area will be? We will be spending all of our time in Custer and Needles Highway. Any input will be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custer area during Sturgis rally

The problem with being in the Black Hills during Sturgis is not just crowds, but lodging as well. You may not find a good selection of choices this later in the game, and what you will find will be pricey. I have not been there during Sturgis, but I have a friend who goes frequently. I know he typically rides through Custer SP and the Badlands, so you will certainly see bikers. I recall him booking his campsite no later than February.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custer area during Sturgis rally

We've camped a couple times at Center Lake during the Rally & driven the needles hwy, many of the bikers aren't used to the tight turns on narrow roads and it really isn't very pleasant. However, mornings are better than afternoons and there tends to be less traffic the farther south you are in the park.

And, even though there are many extra campgrounds & food vendors set up during the Rally, it can be a long wait to get food in the park. But, if you are prepared to drive slow & plan ahead, it is do-able.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custer area during Sturgis rally

I just booked 2 nights at the Sylvan Lake Campground in Custer for the week you are talking about, and as of Apr 14, they still had lots of sites left, but it sounds like you might want to hurry if you are going to try and book a site. Also, we have spent several vacations during "bike week" at a few different locations (totally by coincidence) and other than the extra traffic, which does tend to be noisy, the extra people have not been a hinderance at all, except maybe to add to the wait times.

4. Re: Custer area during Sturgis rally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 30, 2012
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor