We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Chief Motel

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Review of Chief Motel

I couldn't find anyone who had stayed at the Chief Motel so I thought I'd let everyone know how it was. My first impression was not a good one. When we pulled in the motel did not look exactly rundown but it definetly was not new. Then we met the man in the office (I think his name was Bruce but I'm not sure) & he did not have us down for the right amount of days & did not seem very well organized (in his defense we had apparently just woken him from a late nap). Once we got past that bad first impression & got to our rooms things greatly improved. The room was neat, well maintained & the beds were comfortable. We were there 5 days & the room was kept neat. The fridge worked great for drinks & milk for the kids. The pool could have been slightly warmer but seemed clean also. I would have no problem going back. The man in office was also helpful with directions & giving his opinion on what he liked in the area. Now for the breakfast deal they have-the restaraunt is NOT at the Motel, it is a block & a half down the street. The breakfast was ok but the rest of the food was utrageously priced-it cost $2.68 for a small glass of milk!!!! I suggest going to the Common Cents quicky mark up the road & getting the whole pint for .79 cents. Many of the stores & restraunts close early (like 5 or 6) so shop/eat early or make sure to eat dinner in another town.

The free passes...I recveived an actual plastic pass for Custer Park. The Mount Rushmore & half of Crazy Horse Admission was just subtracted from from my bill (then you would have to pay for admission if you go). For me that worked even better then getting an actual pass-since I had no interest in Crazy Horse I just saved $12 off my bill.

Bring your own shampoo & soap-I often just use whatever is at the Motel but theirs did not lather well & did not leave me feeling clean. Luckily I'd brought some of my own as well.

It is in a fairly central location so it worked out as being a nice place to stay.

Kansas City...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of Chief Motel

Thank you, sheilalee, for this post.

I have been looking for reviews of the places that are in the South Dakota vacation guide and was happy to find yours. It sounds like this Chief motel may be worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing the info.

2. Re: Review of Chief Motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 14, 2009