We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In SD now, advice on panning and other must-do's

Minnesota
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
In SD now, advice on panning and other must-do's

Hey all- we are in Custer, got to SD yesterday!

I need some advice on where a good place is take my boys panning for gold. They are young, but not naive and the cheesy dinky 'panning' sites at all the tourist traps are not going to cut it.

They want a real experience. My 10 year old had a ball at Cosmos, but he even "got" the tricks, soooo... i would like somewhere authentic. I was thinking Big Thunder, is that a good place?

We're heading to rushmore tomorrow, and the next custer park/sylvan lake. Also one of the caves, just have not decided on which one yet as we have a 1 year old we'll backpack in so we prob have to do a non state park (ie; no wind or jewel. I know the jewel doesn't even allow the backpacks in so thats for sure out). We don't want to be in there too long if he happens to not like it, though he's very mello so I'm sure a little one will be fine.

So far we went to Bear Country, Cosmos, Reptile Gardens, Keystone to souvenier shop (and wall drug on the way)

Thanks in advance, and any more MUST-DO's before we leave, please feel free to share.

I'll be checking my laptop before we leave in the morning. Thanks all!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,110 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In SD now, advice on panning and other must-do's

My son at 9 loved gold panning. We went to Wade's Gold MIll in Hill City. The people there were very nice and showed him how to pan, he even found a nice size gold flake!

Jewel Cave has a short cave tour (about 20 minutes) that you can take the 1 year old in.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In SD now, advice on panning and other must-do's

You might want to do a trip to Devil's Tower. From Custer, you will go through Hill City. With a few short stops, you can do Devil's Tower in a half day.

3. Re: In SD now, advice on panning and other must-do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 03, 2009