We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

Trinidad, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

I've searched around quite a bit but am still not sure I have a good feel for the differences and similarities between Bocas del Toro and the Pearl Islands. Can someone help explain? I know August is supposed to be rainy in both, but thoughts on which might be better then? Hoping to find a budget honeymoon beach spot for under $70 a night in August. Any advice? Thank you very much for your time and suggestions!

5 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

I suggest that you check Contadora Island Inn if you opt for the pearls. The weather is pretty good all year round and you can get a room at a reasonable price (less than 100$). The beaches are also considered one of the best in Panama and the islands are also surrounded by coral reefs. It is pretty rainy in August on the Caribean side. Good for snorkelling, diving, island-hopping and fishing.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

They will both be like a sauna in August!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

They´ll be like a sauna pretty much all year!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

Bid difference. Bocas has tons of hotels and restaurants such, pearls not so much. Having something on the beach at that price you will do much better in the Pearls. As far as weather goes, you never know, the last two Augusts in Bocas have been very dry.

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?

I am going to Panama in one week and I have opted for the Pearls after much thinking. The weather in February is not really a problem wherever you are because it is the dry season. But one thing that maybe you should take into consideration is that Bocas is more touristic and there are a lot of people on the main island although you can rent a taxi-boat and escape during the day to the far-flung islands. In comparison, the pearls are pretty quite and is perfect if you are looking for a truly cast-away experience and relax.

But for a truly cast-away experience, I would recommend the archipielago of San Blas. It is also a good cultural experience considering that it is the homeland of the kunas, an aboriginal people.

Reply to: Pearl Islands or Bocas del Toro in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pearl Islands