We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Nakum

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Nakum

I'm having the hardest time finding a way to get to Nakum. The only thing I've seen are 4 hour walks that are a part of a longer 3-5 day tour. I'll be traveling in July and was hoping to do Yaxha and Nakum in a day.

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Nakum

If you hire a private guide to drive you it might be attainable but that's rainy season and roads to Nakum could be an issue. I haven't visited Nakum but really love Yaxhá - hope it works out for you.

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Nakum

I've been to Nakum 3 times in the past. The time of the year (July) you're wanting to go there is one of the most difficult months to do so, since it's well into the rainy season then. You could visit both Nakum & Yaxha in the same day and during the dry season, but the chances of doing so during the rainy season would be slim. It's not impossible, though.

Your chances would be better if: 1) it had not rained much a few weeks before your visit 2) you were to stay the night before with Gabriella Moretti at El Sombrero Ecolodge located at the entrance gate to the park and 3) you were to hire a driver with a high clearance 4x4 truck.

The deep mud holes in the 'La Juxta Bajo' are the reason it's so difficult. During the rainy season the Holmul & Yaxha Rivers can swell so much that I've seen a photo of a friend of mine (Raul Noriega) who is standing in the road going to Nakum and water is up to his chest.

Raul normally lives at Campamento Yaxha but spends most of his time these days nearby at Naranjo. He always knows the status of the roads since he travels through the 'Cultural Triangle Yaxha-Nakum-Naranjo National Park so frequently while keeping a check on the 3 main sites and the 13 sub-centers located there.

Your best bet is to contact Dieter Richter at Cafe Yaxha (the collaborator of The Cultural Triangle) in Flores because he is in contact with Raul on a weekly basis as long as Raul has a cell phone signal out in the jungle. Dieter can also arrange the driver/ truck for you, too. Tell him I sent you! Dieter - (email) - cafeyax_ha@yahoo.com

Greg

3. Re: Getting to Nakum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, May 04, 2015