We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self driving post katrina tour

Kingsford
Level Contributor
80 posts
132 reviews
49 helpful votes
self driving post katrina tour

Visiting New Orleans in March and have been following some postings on various tours of Katrina devestation. We will be renting a car and are wondering if anyone have produced driving maps that would allow us to see the damage at our own pace.

Walks
Historical & Heritage Tours
Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
South Louisiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
9 helpful votes
1. Re: self driving post katrina tour

You don't need a map, just drive. You will see it everywhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: self driving post katrina tour

Although you will see damage driving around the city, "Fodor's New Orleans 2007" contains a very detailed driving tour of the damaged areas, plus descriptions of what, where, and how the city flooded. Recommended.

I'd also suggest buying a good street map.

And here's an excellent interactive map of how the city flooded, courtesy of the Times Picayune.

www.nola.com/katrina/graphics/continuous.swf

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
465 reviews
386 helpful votes
3. Re: self driving post katrina tour

Just a warning, but every time I have taken my car into the zone in order to show visitors what its like, I pick up a nail or two in my tires. I know you will have a rental car ,but if you need the car on the day after, you may have a flat.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
88 helpful votes
4. Re: self driving post katrina tour

I agree about the nails. I've replaced FOUR tires in the past 18 months.

One thing I would point out is that a little damage goes a long way. I've heard from several people that while they are glad they took the "flooded areas" tour that it was too long and overwhelmed the senses.

5. Re: self driving post katrina tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 23, 2009