We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

six flags

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
10 posts
Save Topic
six flags

how far is six flags from the city? does the city bus go there?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
673 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: six flags

Nno, it's in what we call N.O. East. You could take a cab but it might be pricey. It's about 15 miles I guess from downtown on I-510. Do a map search and you will see what I mean.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: six flags

Actually, the city bus DOES go there.

Check out www.regionaltransit.org and click bus line #65, the Six Flags Express. It's actually a fairly quick interstate bus trip from the downtown area (Canal and Poydras) to the Six Flags/NASA area. Makes a stop at the theme park, too!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
673 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: six flags

Yes, it does go there but I wouldn't suggest anyone actually take a RTA bus there. Not unless you are armed like everyone else on the bus. I know this sounds alarmist but unfortunately it is more true than not.

Cajunwave: Would you take your family on an RTA bus to Six Flags say departing Rampart St. ?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: six flags

I would ride the bus! Driving is probably the best option but I ride RTA daily and it's not nearly as bad as all that. Not all folks from the "bad neighborhoods" are armed, you know.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: six flags

The original poster asked if the city bus goes there.

I replied that it does. I had no further commentary on whether I would take the bus or not.

But since you asked, if I didn't have a car and my only option was a taxi, I would consider the bus. Otherwise, I'd drive or, if budget was flexible, take the cab.

The express bus doesn't go to the Desire projects, for goodness sakes. It goes to Six Flags and Michoud, relatively safe areas of N.O. East.

NJ
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: six flags

so the bus goes there, but it's not safe to ride the bus. even during the day?

we not afraid, i work in NYC and my husband works in Newark (not the nicest part of NJ if you KWIM), but if the locals don't take the bus maybe a taxi will be safer. $15.00 for a taxi isn't bad.

thanks for the info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: six flags

New Orleans East is a predominantly African-American neighborhood so it tends to get a worse-than-deserved reputation among some people. I don't think the bus will be the most pleasant way to go. It will be the cheapest and should be relatively quick. If you are from New York you won't understand this "fuss" at all!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
673 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: six flags

You are correct that it would be the lest expensive way. But, from personal experience, the last time I was downtown (a few weeks ago) I saw a huge brawl at the RTA bus stop at Canal and Rampart. I wasn't addressing the neighborhoods in the East, but the crowds that congragate at the bus stops on Canal. Lately, they have become very unruly mainly due to the school kids riding the bus. These same kids will be riding the bus in the summer too. The NOPD is suppose to step up security around the bus stops but who knows if will help.

If you want inexpensive, then by all means take the bus. But there is no way I would put my family on one.