We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is French spoken in New Orleans?

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is French spoken in New Orleans?

Have never been to New Orleans but we're considering visiting this spring. We have 2 children who are learning French. Any chance they'll hear French spoken or have a chance to practice speaking French while we're there.....?

Thanks.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is French spoken in New Orleans?

Personally, I've never heard a sole utter anything in French here. I'm originally from Lafayette and there's much more French culture there. Maybe it's more noticeable because it's a much smaller city and they make a point to cultivate the French heritage. You could come to NOLA for a great vacation, and maybe take a side trip into Acadiana. Try the Lafayette forum and see what activities may be taking place around the time of your visit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is French spoken in New Orleans?

You won't hear French spoken anywhere in Louisiana these days. Many people in Acadiana (my home area) can speak French or at least a "cajun" version of it but nearly everyone uses English.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is French spoken in New Orleans?

Les Americains pretty much destroyed the Cajun/Creole culture in the 20th century. Children were punished for speaking French at school. Some of the older African American Creoles in southwest LA still speak French. A lot of the Zydeco musicians still speak French.

The French Creoles have been pretty much Americanized so you won't hear much French spoken in New Orleans. Laura Plantation does have a tour in French. I actually heard a tour guide there speaking French.

4. Re: Is French spoken in New Orleans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 25, 2009