We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

my husband and i will be taking our first trip to new orleans next week. we're on a somewhat tight budget, but still don't want to miss out on new orleans' fabulous food. any suggestions on best places for creole, snacks, beignets, coffee, jazz, etc??

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

just found page for "cheap eats" in new orleans. anyone second their top 3 (Acme Oyster House, Johnny Po Boys, Napoleon House)suggestions?

Also, what about Cafe du Monde and Two Sisters?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

Here are some of my favorites. Old Coffee Pot on St Peters for Breakfast. It has also been getting great dinner reviews and will not hurt the budget at all.

Cafe DuMonde is a must do, You can't visit New Orleans and not have a Beignet and Cafe au Lait!

Olivier's is a real creole restaurant that will give you the feel that you are dining in a four star restaraunt on two star prices. They are also very hospitable.

Hope that helps! Have a great time!!!!

River Ridge, La
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

Cafe Maspero's .. is very reasonable for lunch or dinner..

if you are staying in the quarter and want a deli to deliver Verdi Mart

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

Johnny's is a great inexpensive breakfast place, we always see a lot of locals eating there. Napoleon's can't be beat for great atmosphere with inexpensive prices. I love their muffalettas. I haven't been to Acme Oyster House. Pat O'Brien's has decent food at a reasonable price. Another good place for breakfast (and lunch or dinner) is Clover Grill on Bourbon. Port of Call on Esplanade has great burgers, reasonably priced. You won't have any problem finding reasonably priced food - my husband and I aren't into going to expensive restaurants but still find plenty of interesting places to eat.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

em, I second Napoleon House! They are still on limited hours (1130am-5pm Fri.-Weds., bar till 6p). Great ambience, relaxing classical music, delicious food, & refreshing drinks. Enjoy!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

Cafe Du Monde for sure, but Court of Two Sisters is not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, although if you want to skip breakfast go mid-day for brunch, it wouldn't be too bad. Another place I forgot to mention is Jimmy Buffet's Margaretaville on Decatur which isn't too costly and has a fun atmosphere. And there are always the Lucky Dog hotdog vendors (on street corners) for a quick inexpensive bite.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

Also, Coop's on Decatur is good & inexpensive, opens @ 11am. Large menu selection of local dishes (www.coopsplace.net).

San Jose
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

yes I agree Cafe Maspero's is very reasonable for lunch or dinner..and one of my favorites in terms of a deli is Verdi Mart. Looks like I'll have to put Coops on my list of places to check out. BTW: Does anyone know if Deannes is open once again? Just tried calling 'em and the number was disconnected.

We were in town for 5 days in Feb 2006 and many of our favorite places were shuttered up or just plain gone. We'll be back next month and are looking forward to Maspero's, Verti Mart, Acme Oyster, Napoleon House, and maybe Pascal's Manale (long standing disagreement with my better half, I say Deanne's has the best BBQ shrimp, she insists its Pascal's Manale, though after our Feb trip she's thinking maybe, just maybe its Bacco's on Chartres), maybe a meal at Andrea's, or Arnaud's. Oh its hard to make a bad choice, so many great places, so little time :-) Oops better not forget martinis & a meal at the Bombay Club inside the Prince Conti Hotel.

Stevensville, MD
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

For Breakfast you can't beat Petunia's on St. Louis Street. I was in NO in November for 4 days and ate there for breakfast 3 of the 4 days. Great portions for a low price.

Didn't try them for dinner or lunch...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best, can't-miss, and affordable places to eat?

Deanie's is open in Bucktown (Metairie) but hasn't yet reopened on Iberville in the French Quarter. Renovations are underway, however.