We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my trip report

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
my trip report

I have been to New Orleans several times over the last 10 years, but this was my first trip back since Katrina/Rita and I truly did not know what to expect.

I ran into what seems to be typical issues with USairways when flying out of Philadelphia, the flight was more than 1 hour delayed and they still were not able to get half the people on the planes luggage to New Orleans with us. It took another 2 hours to fill out the lost luggage claim form and then catch a cab to the Quarter House Hotel. Usairways really needs to start working on their customer service.

The Quarter House is a time share property, and we had a wonderful room with a wrought iron balcony that overlooked Iberville street. I would definitely recommend the quarter house and will definitely stay there again. It is centrally located in the FQ, which was very nice for getting around on foot, no so great with a rental car. Parking is $18 a day.

In every visit to NOLA food highlights my stay... This visit was no different. The Coffee Pot on St Peters is a great lunch spot, inexpensive and great food. Jacques-imo's and K-Paul’s are both places that everyone should definitely make it too! I had drum fish for the first time; I liked it so much I had it at both places. Another place that I would recommend if you happen to want to go to a sports bar is Couter Browns at river bend.

Mena's across the street from the quarter house was my best find of this visit. The catfish platter was the best that I have ever had and it was $7!!!!!!!!!!

I would also recommend the Funky Pirate on bourbon Street for a great blues club. Big Al Carson is awesome and does a great version of "strokin” and is a real entertainer!

I also would highly recommend the DDay museum; get there early because it literally takes all day. The artifacts and the interactive videos make this much more than a history lesson. I would also highly recommend the free walking tour that the parks department offers daily. Our guide CJ truly made the history of New Orleans come alive. The tour leaves from Jean Lafitte visitor's center on Decatur at 9:00 am.

Although the most memorable part of this trip was my tour of the gentilly, upper and lower 9th ward, and st. benards parrish. The tourist areas are genuinely back to what they were before Katrina; but I have never seen devastation like this, I was encouraged by how many people had returned, how much construction is going on, and the resilience of new Orleanians. I am so glad that I left the FQ and saw what the rest of New Orleans is contending with; this will probably be my most memorable trip ever to the crescent city

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: my trip report

Scooby: I tried calling Commander's Palace for a reservation as we will be there second week of October and they are not yet taking reservations but are planning to be opened by then. They said to call when we get there. They will start taking reservations on Oct 15. It's been 18 years since I've lived in New Orleans but we always loved the Garden Room.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: my trip report

Hi Scooby!

I went on a walking tour of the garden district on a different visit to NOLA, and this is the company that I used. they were great, and I planned on doing the Jazz walking tour this trip but I just ran out of time. Here is there website. www.tourneworleans.com

Have a great trip.

Felicia

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: my trip report

Commanders Palace will be reopening this Sunday, October 1st after extensive wind and rain damage and will accept reservations starting October 15th so for now its first come first served seven days a week. They have done extensive renovations.

uk
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: my trip report

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I will be getting to Commanders Palace early for lunch as I will be there before the 15th, however I might chance it and call first.

Will be researching tours on line tonight. The Jazz tour sounds great. Last year was the first time in 15years I wasn;t in New Orleans although my thoughts were there.

Cant wait to get back, and counting the days

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: my trip report

Dined at Commander's over the weekend and it's truly better than ever. I thought it was declining a bit before the storm but my meal was spectacular. The renovation is much like at the Superdome--not huge changes but a nice, clean, "fresh" look and smell!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: my trip report

Cajunwave - my reservations are for Sunday brunch on October 29 - I can't wait!!! So glad to hear that it is better than ever!!!!!!

17. Re: my trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, August 24, 2009