We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Christmas in NOLA

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lima OH
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Christmas in NOLA

Taking our children 12 & 17 to New Orleans Dec 27-30. Will be staying in the Garden District and expect the St Charles Street car line to be up and running. I have visited many times in the spring- never during the Christmas holiday season. Will most shops/restaurants be open? Any special holiday events to see?

Family excursion ideas?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

I don't recall the date that the St Charles streetcar will be running again. Everything should be open on those dates, no problem! I don't know about holiday events during that time, I haven't seen any posted yet. Check Nola.com as the date approaches.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

The St. Charles line will hopefully be running by Christmas 2007. Definitely not by Christmas 2006! The very slow and tedious St. Charles bus line is the only option, unfortunately.

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

On Christmas Day itself many placaes will be closed (shops) and some restaurants. the higher priced restaurants will be booked up days or weeks ahead. One Xmas day I had a burger and fries at a bar, and another time ate at a small diner type place on St Phillip, that I happened to stumble acrosss a couple of days before. I save my "fine" dining for the days after, when many people went home.

Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

On Christmas Day itself many placaes will be closed (shops) and some restaurants. the higher priced restaurants will be booked up days or weeks ahead. One Xmas day I had a burger and fries at a bar, and another time ate at a small diner type place on St Phillip, that I happened to stumble acrosss a couple of days before. I save my "fine" dining for the days after, when many people went home.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

Each year, City Park celebrates "Celebration in the Oaks." There's a driving tour and a walking tour in the evening. Certainly not as grand as pre-Katrina, but worth the trip. See http://www.neworleanscitypark.com/cito.php for more details. In previous years, there were horse-drawn carriage tours. You can contact the Park closer to Christmas to inquire about these.

Old-line restaurants (and some new) celebrate "reveillon" dinners, prix fixe, multi-course dinners which celebration the Creole tradition of reveillon or "awakening." These meals were served after midnight mass in Catholic homes. Tugaque's, Muriel's, and Commander's are some examples of restaurants that have these each Christmas seasons. Reservations are a must.

Historic homes in the French Quarter, including Gallier House and the Beauregard Keyes House, have beautiful christmas displays.

Although not yet Mardi Gras Season (which begins on Twelfth Night), I would recommend a trip to Mardi Gras World in Algiers, to see artists creating the floats for the season.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

They used to have information at www.louisianatravel.com on the Christmas festivities or www.nola.com New Orleans is great at Christmas time...They have many restaurants featuring 'revillon' meals that cover a meal from start to finish and are a real bargain usually for the entire month of December. Its too bad you will be after Christmas because those going prior to Christmas would see the 'christmas characters' from new orleans history walking the french quarter etc. in period costumes and telling stories from their era and its quite a sight to see big Al Carson in a Santa suit putting on a 'free' concert in the Park. They have free cooking demonstrations and to take part in the christmas caroling in either Washington Square or Jackson Square prior to Christmas is quite an experience. For family excursions it depends on your childrens' tolerance of tours of plantations but a nice familiarization tour is a mule and buggy tour from the Decatur St. side of Jackson Square..its $12 a person for a 30-40 minute tour through the french quarter and its pretty good. They might like a cruise on the Natchez on the Mississippi River or go into the museums at Jackson Square..the LA history museum or the history of mardi with costumes and film clips. Hope this helps some.

7. Re: Family Christmas in NOLA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 19, 2009