We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spicy Food-help????

st. paul
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spicy Food-help????

We are going to New Orleans in Oct. and I have a problem. I can not eat HOT foods. I will try anything that is not (hot-spicy) as it does wierd things to me. Can anyone suggest foods that are typical New Orleans but not have the heat. My wife eats anything. Also we love Cajun music so any help in that direction at bars or restaurants would be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spicy Food-help????

Just tell your server about your spice issues. It's not a problem and won't be the first time they've heard it, trust me!

Most cajun dishes are spicy, while many (not all) creole foods are as well. We have ample seafood here and it's easy to get a good grilled or fried fish that's not spicy. Just make sure you don't get blackened fish as it's spicy as heck!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spicy Food-help????

To reiterate what CajunWave said, most "New Orleans foods" tend to be spicy but most can also be toned down to accommodate sensitive taste buds/gastric systems. Wav'es suggestion of grilled seafood is a great one.

Happy travels!

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
644 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spicy Food-help????

Our favorite Cajun Music is performed by Waylon Thibodeaux who is a legend on Bourbon Street . What this guy does with a fiddle is unbelievable..

I understand he's back playing regularly at the Tropical Isle Beach Bar at Toulose & Bourbon Streets. Don't miss him if you get the chance.....

My recommendation for breakfast is Petunias between Bourbon and Dauphine Streets. Killer Omelettes & Waffles...

st. paul
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spicy Food-help????

Thanks to all of you. We enjoy good food and drink and this helps. I will check in from time to time for any other suggestions, we are leaving for N.O. on Oct. 13th.

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
644 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spicy Food-help????

BenP,

I know most people don't come to New Orleans to have a hamburger but I'm telling you that the best hamburger I ever had on this planet is in New Orleans at a place called the Port of Call on Esplanade.

They serve it with a giant baked potato and you will think you've gone to heaven.

I really enjoy the creole and cajun cooking dishes that New Orleans is famous for but always set aside some time for one trip to Port of Call for that world class Burger !!!!!!!!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spicy Food-help????

BenP, my husband and I also don't eat spicy foods but never have a problem finding plenty to eat in New Orleans. I second the nomination of Port Of Call, and be sure to have a muffaletta at Napoleon's on St. Louis Street. They are inexpensive, tasty, and the place has wonderful atmosphere. We also enjoy Clover Grill on Bourbon Street for great burgers and breakfast, and a quirky atmosphere.

7. Re: Spicy Food-help????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 18, 2009