We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in mid december

Bowie, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
weather in mid december

I was thinking about visiting in mid december and was curious how the weather usually is? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in mid december

Winter is variable. It will most likely be comfortable during the day and cool at night but definitely check weather.com as I've been to outdoor Christmas parties in December that were shorts weather as well as parka weather!

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
266 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in mid december

Lets just say you won't need a coat. (Although, I did have to wear one recently when it snowed on Christmas Day!) I have worn a big coat probably 4 times in the last 10yrs and it wasn't always DEC.

Just bring a heavy sweater and a medium jacket to be safe. I usually put the shorts away by Nov.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
546 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in mid december

"Usually" is not a word generally applied to Louisiana weather. As the others have indicated, you're unlikely to need shorts or a heavy coat, but you could find yourself needing either -- or both on the same day!

Generally it's mild and cool, but your best bet is probably to check the weather immediately before your departure to get a better idea.

Enjoy your stay!

Chicago
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in mid december

Check nola.com for the current weather and the forecast before you leave.

December, assume 55-75 degrees daytimes, 45-60 nights, and then don't believe those because it may change. I sweated one Xmas day, and had sleet and snow another (more rare).

I travel there most Decembers (great reduced rates). I just take normal clothes (shirts and slacks), and then have a sweater plus nylon windbreaker jacket, to use either or both as/if/when needed. Most prior years never used either. But the Dec of 2004, had to wear the sweater AND jacket almost every day for two weeks! I wanted to burn them when I got home!! Came home with several dress shirts still folded and never worn. (Damn sweater. Haven't looked at it since.)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in mid december

We visited last December/January for the holidays. We expected 50-60 degree weather. Unfortunately, it was extremely damp and chilly during our week. The fog on New Year's Eve was like something out of a Poe story.

If you pack for anything from 40s to 60s you should be fine.

6. Re: weather in mid december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 17, 2009