We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz Clubs??

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Jazz Clubs??

Can anyone give me some advice on which Jazz clubs are a must? I'm looking for a fun club that has lots of energy and is NOT a tourist trap! Possibly one that a lot of the locals frequent. This is my first trip so I want some good music while I'm down there. I'm coming down on May 4-8. Thanks!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz Clubs??

Preservation Hall and Snug Harbor are always good bets. Preservation Hall makes you feel like you've left the 21st century and gone back a hundred years or more. On a hot night, it's even hotter in Preservation Hall... they have no air conditioning.

Another one that I'd strongly recommend, and this one isn't written up in all of the tourist books, is Sweet Lorraine's (1931 St. Claude Ave.) It's one of those places where, before you get inside, you'll think it's a real dive. But once you're inside you'll love it.

Frisco (Dallas), TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz Clubs??

Is it recommended to take a cab to these places?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz Clubs??

Preservation Hall is right in the Quarter, so no cab is needed. Snug Harbor is just outside of the quarter, across Esplanade Avenue. I'd recommend a cab, but it's not absolutely necessary. Sweet Lorraine's is definitely a cab ride. It's not far outside of the Quarter, on St. Claude Avenue. But the neighborhood is a little iffy.

But please don't let the neighborhood nor cab ride scare you from Sweet Lorraine's. As they say on their website (www.sweetlorrainesjazzclub.com) they are the "club with the silver lining."

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz Clubs??

Thanks for the suggestions! These sound like excellent places to catch some good jazz. I think I'm going to check out Sweet Lorraine's. I looked on their website and it looks like a place that I'd like. We also might go to preservation hall one night as well, cause I've heard good things about it. Thanks again!

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz Clubs??

Does Snug Harbor offer old style jazz?