We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing in New Orleans...

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Timing in New Orleans...

Three girlfriends in their 50's going for a reunion. We have a history of partying...and we keep trying to keep it up :).

My question is: What time should I make dinner reservations at our chosen restaurants? Apparently drinking will start early, and then there is Happy Hour.. Would you say 6:00 or 8:00?

We are visiting the first week of June, maybe just not make reservations?

Thanks, and I might add WOO HOO! (first time for all of us!)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,272 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

I would say it's impossible to answer and up to you. :)

The only opinion I would offer is...if you're going to "nicer" places, maybe consider dining earlier and whooping it up later instead of being "that table" that beomes the center of attention for all the wrong reaons lol.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

No, we would never be the "that table". Earlier my be the right answer. Thanks.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

Ww enjoy taking in the nicer restaurants at brunch/lunch, making that our primary meal, having small plates/happy hour for early dinner, then a very late night snack/breakfast/small meal, when all the tables are pretty much "that table". This seems to offer better value, and fit the New Orleans schedule and vibe. If you have a big ole traditional New Orleans meal with drinks and wine starting at 8, you're pretty much finished for the night at the end of the meal.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

I think Loopwhole is on the right track. Big meal during the middle of the day when you have time to walk it off and before most of the drinking starts. New Orleans has great food - you want your taste buds fresh and ready for it :-)

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

Also, be aware that there is no "five o'clock" rule in New Orleans. Feel free to party it up, if that's what you like to do, at pretty much any time of the day or night. No one will give it a thought if you're walking around with a go cup at 9 am! :)

Edited: 7:12 pm, April 11, 2014
Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Burlingame...
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

I had reservations at a few big named restaurants before I arrived in New Orleans this week.

By the time I ate throughout the day I cancelled most of them lol.

I did walk into NOLA w no reservation at 7P.M and it was awesome.

Edited: 1:59 am, April 12, 2014
Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,343 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
7. Re: Timing in New Orleans...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2015