We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bar called 'the nunnery'

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
bar called 'the nunnery'

Anyone heard of an after-hours bar in New Orleans called 'The Nunnery'?

Thanks.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

Could you mean The Abbey, maybe? Decatur Street in the Quarter, gets a late crowd with a lot of servicd industry workers.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
673 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

What exactly is an afterhours bar, in New Orleans where most bars never close? It sounds like it involves time travel.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

True, but a lot of bars DO close, and The Abbey is one that has a reputation for gathering in the folks who come in for a drink after they've closed their own place for the night, plus some of those who don't want to stop partying just because it's 3:00 in the morning. :)

One of those local FQ characters once described it to me as:

"The Abbey is the place where you go in at 3:30 in the morning for one last drink before heading home and the next thing you know it's 7:00 in the morning and the sun is coming up and you go "Oh !!@#, I'm still at The Abbey!" :)

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
594 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

The Abbey doesn't even have a door...they just have those hanging plastic "meat locker" strips!

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

Yeah, it is the epitome of a "dive bar". I think they have a door mat INSIDE the door so you can wipe your feet on the way out so you don't get the street dirty!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

I don't think there's enough room in The Abbey to dance. When I googled, The Nunnery New Orleans, the Old Ursuline Convent came up. That's a great place to tour, but not so much for dancing. Sorry none of us have recognized The Nunnery so far.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
673 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

I will seek it out the next time I'm there....

8. Re: bar called 'the nunnery'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 06, 2015