We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking....

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking....

Is it allowed walking down Burbon St? Although I've been trying to get hubby to quit I figured I wouldn't push him too hard as our NO trip is for his bday so I'll try not to pressure him too much

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking....

You can smoke in most bars in New Orleans, (not restaurants), and certainly on the street.

Edited: 2:49 pm, November 25, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking....

"You can smoke in most bars in New Orleans, (not restaurants), and certainly on the street."

If the bar serves food is smoking prohibited?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking....

As far as I know you cannot smoke where food is served, inside. I have seen smokers at outdoor dining establishments.

Absolutely the most lenient smoking laws of anyplace in the US.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,169 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking....

Deja Vu, which serves a full menu, but is more bar than restaurant, allows smoking. As I recall (but could be wrong) Erin Rose Bar, which houses Killer Po Boys, allows smoking. I suspect, without knowing, it's based on whether there are greater alcoholic beverage sales or non-alcoholic beverage sales within the establishment. There are also some bars without food service which prohibit smoking as a matter of their own policy.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking....

If you are trying to quit, New Orleans could be a tough town for a smoker. Be prepared to be around it and maybe set some goals in advance (a certain number of cigarettes or limited to only outdoors) but the drinking and music culture of New Orleans sets the stage for a very smoke-friendly community. It is something that I wish would change, but it reminds me of when Austin, Texas went smoke-free and how businesses (mainly bars and music venues) were afraid it would harm the culture of the scene. Going smoke-free made it better in my opinion, but obviously there will be different opinions on that. I think New Orleans will hold out for as long as possible on any city-wide change.

Here is a list of all the smoke-free places if you want to avoid temptation:

letsbetotallyclear.org/venues/greater-new-or…

And here are some curated lists that are not as long:

gonola.com/2011/08/09/gonola-advocates-top-5…

www.yelp.com/list/breathe-easy-new-orleans

nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2010/07/smoke-free_…

I like to remind myself of the options before a trip too.

Rachel

www.postcardplans.com

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,698 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking....

The piano bar in Pat O'Brien's has always allowed smoking. But last month when were there on a Saturday night, there was no one smoking and no ashtrays on the tables, so I'm wondering if they have gone smoke-free?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking....

Jou--Most patio/outside seating in restaurants allows smoking. We love Vacherie's for breakfast and smoking is no problem in the outside seating area. I am a smoker too but I totally understand no smoking in an enclosed spot where food is served. Walking down Bourbon while having a smoke is no problem either cuz we're pretty considerate not to blow smoke on people :) Pat O'Brien's outside court yard is one of my fav places and smoking out there is no problem either. Most hotels are smoke free now so if you get a room with a balcony or access to the outside you won't have any problems! Hope you and DHhave a great time and a very happy birthday.

Speaking of birthdays (if he's game for it) you can pin a dollar bill on his shirt. This will let everyone know it's his birthday and he may even get a few extra bucks pinned to him as well. Have you joined the Pat O'Brien's birthday club? A free drink from Pat's on that day is never a bad thing!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking....

Since I forgot to post the site for Pat's birthday club I will post it now! Duh!

patobriens.com/patobriens/…birthday_club.asp

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking....

Thank you everyone. All the information is extremely valuable. We can't wait...three weeks more. NO has always been a place we wanted to visit. I will be pinning that dollar on DH shirt. Sounds like it could turn into something fun!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking....

Have fun and Happy Birthday to DH! :)