We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Sports Bar suggestions

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Central Sports Bar suggestions

Headed to New Orleans for Thanksgiving and my husband has some key football games that he would like to see while we are there. I want places that will be fun for me too, and hopefully not too smokey.

So far I have: Rusty Nail, Lucy's Surf Bar and Ye Old College Inn.

Someone also mentioned Mannings but the reviews are awful.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

I haven't read reviews of Mannings, but we loved it! We were there on 2 different Sundays and enjoyed it both times. If I remember correctly smoking was not allowed inside.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

Assume you are talking about the NFL games on that day. The NFL games are featured on the major networks...they will be on everywhere. Football gets preference over all other sports in New Orleans. I noticed that during the MLB playoffs last month. Might be a late game on NFL network, but you should be able to find it. Crescent City Brewhouse will have games on in the quarter. Mississippi River Bottom and Johnny Whites are good spots for football, but maybe a little smoky.

The only place I have seen that does not have football or any tvs at all....Pat O's.

Here are some real sports bars around town that should have Sunday NFL Ticket and all games...Finn McCools Irish Pub in Mid-City, Cooter Browns Tavern Uptown, Gordon Biersch, the Checkered Parrott, Poppy's Timeout Sports Bar and Grill.

Edited: 8:26 pm, November 23, 2013
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

Ryan's Irish Pub corner of Decatur and Bienville Sts in the Quarter has all the sport packages, check out the Yelp reviews. Also Jimani corner of Chartres and Iberville Sts in the Quarter. Jimani has good pub food. Ryan's has no food but allow you to bring it in or have it delivered.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

Actually, Pat's does have a tv in their bar area across from the piano bar. We watched Drew Brees break a NFL record there on December 28th, 2011. It was really fun because the small bar area was already packed, and when he got close to breaking the record (I think it was for most passing yards) the wait staff from everywhere at Pat O's descended on that bar to watch him break the record. When he completed the pass that broke the record, everyone was screaming and cheering - it was a fun place to be on that night. It is a very small bar though - I think we got there 2 hours early to make sure we got a seat, but we knew it would be crowded because of the possibility of Drew breaking the record.

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

I've watched many games at Mannings and I love it. It is non-smoking inside because food is served, and there is an outdoor courtyard with a huge TV screen where smoking is allowed. I had the absolute best dirty martini at Mannings and some decent food, including tuna nicoise and fried green tomatoes. Right across Fulton Street from Mannings is Gordon Biersch which has outside tables and many tv screens as well as indoor seating (no -smoking indoors). Enjoy the games!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

I especially like Finn McCools and Ryan's based on what I have read. I am not sure if anyone is going to want to play the Houston Texans game so we might call ahead for that. He also wants to watch the Longhorn game too. Maybe we will give Manning's a try too. It seems like you need reservations and that they have a minimum to purchase per person though.

Thanks all!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

Manning' s is an easy walk from Ryan's. Finn McCools is Mid City and will require an auto, taxi or streetcar.

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

Postcard, if you want the fancy "stadium seating" chairs at Manning's, you need to reserve. But the general restaurant and bar is open to all. Just pay for what you eat or drink. There are TV's all over the place and I'm quite sure you will be able to,see whatever game you want without paying for the deluxe seating area.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

JLR, that is funny...I was running across the street from Pat's to Yo Mama's to watch AL Championship game back in October.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Sports Bar suggestions

Couple of times on Sunday Pat's had the big screen TV right out in the court yard and they were even grilling hot dogs while the game was on! It was kinda fun cuz all the servers were wearing Saints jerseys too!