We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First night dinner suggestions needed

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
First night dinner suggestions needed

We will be arriving via Amtrak on a Wednesday afternoon and will be staying at The Provincial for 2 nights before returning on the CONO. We are in our late 50's and in OK shape (DH has bad knee's and cant do a great deal of walking). Where should we eat the first evening, knowing that we want a casual NOLA food experience after being on trains for over 24hours? I would love to try shrimp&grits. I am thinking definitely not a upscale type restaurant. I know Stella's is at the Provincial but that's not us! Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,343 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
GW Fins
$$$$, American, Seafood, Soups
Upperline Restaurant
$$$$, French, American, Cajun & Creole
Restaurant August
$$$$, Cajun & Creole, French
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

doggy, Irene's is CLOSE by and amazing...a bit upscale but NOT like Stella's! Fiorella's is great, Margaritaville is also excellent (ignore the "chain name, it's a great place!) Café Envie is just down the street, El Gato Negro is my area fave...I don't eat shrimp so I'm not sure it's on any of the menus, but you could Google to check!

Mentioned in this post
El Gato Negro Mexican Restaurant
El Gato Negro Mexican...
600 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
18 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

Right behind Hotel Provincial and across from the park is Coops. DO yourself a favor and eat there. It's a great place, not fancy, with good food. Search it on here or google. It's one of my top 3 eats in NO.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Provincial
Hotel Provincial
2,899 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
AR
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

Café Amelie (900 block of Royal) has shrimp and grits. That would be the closest that I know of to where you are staying. Other restaurants nearby would be...Irene's, Frank's, Italian Villa, Palm Court Jazz Café, Louisiana Pizza Kitchen, Mona Lisa, Bennachin, Mojitos, Muriel's. Excellent bar food at Buffa's, Port o Call, Checkpoint Charlie's, Turtle Bay. Take out at Verti Mart,

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Amelie
Cafe Amelie
1,207 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Louisiana
Louisiana
United States
Mona Lisa Restaurant
Mona Lisa Restaurant
590 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
AR
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

I meant Café Amelie would be the closest with shrimp and grits....not the closest restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Amelie
Cafe Amelie
1,207 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

skt hit it pretty good but there also is a good list with reviews at www.no menu.com and avoid Fiorello's as the have serious continuing health department issues per their last inspections and also our personal experiences.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

If you want shrimp and grits you have to go to either Mt B's or Tableau for sure! The Quarter is small in general and nothing is too far. My mother in law has had both hip and knee replacements and even she was able to enjoy walking the Quarter (maybe not to the degree that I would and with breaks of course!) Mr B's is further away and closer to Canal on Royal, but the new Dickie Brennan Tableau restaurant is right at Jackson Square, so it's not far at all and their food is fantastic! I would describe both as upscale/casual. Jeans are fine at both and I've seen plenty of people in shorts and t shirts at Mr B's too. They are types of places that you can dress up or down!

Mentioned in this post
Tableau
Tableau
1,346 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mr. B's Bistro
Mr. B's Bistro
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse
Dickie Brennan's...
1,519 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,931 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

Coops is a great idea.

If you or your wife feel like chilling in the room, however, visit for pick-up or call for delivery from the Verti Marte at corner of Royal and Governor Nichols (only two blocks from Provincial).

Recommend the super delish All-That-Jazz sandwich (big enough to split), and one mac-n-cheese side (also big enough to split). They also have gumbo, jambalaya, beans n rice, and much more.

Edited: 1:26 pm, October 31, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Verti Marte
Verti Marte
564 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

Fiorello's is also on my "avoid" list. It was pretty bad last January, and I've read where they have had health department problems since then. As previously indicated, Irene's is close to the Provincial and is great. Personally, I like Coop's, my kind of place, casual with a capital "C,", and although it is noted for its' snarky wait staff, that has not been my experience. It can get busy though, and I've seen it with long lines.

I don't know about the grits part, but there is a corner restaurant on Decatur, somewhere around Dumaine or thereabouts, that has cooking shrimp in the front window that you can smell a half block away, which is on my "must try" list. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

Thank You all for the wonderful advice. I will do more research on your suggestions.

AR
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First night dinner suggestions needed

Mr. B's, Tableau and Bombay Club all have shrimp and grits, but they are not as close to your hotel as some of the other restaurants listed so you might not want to visit them the first evening.. depends on how you feel after a long train ride. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Mr. B's Bistro
Mr. B's Bistro
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Tableau
Tableau
1,346 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Bombay Club
The Bombay Club
476 Reviews