We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving what will still be open

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving what will still be open

We're visiting New Orleans over thanksgiving form the uk. Arrive on 27th nov leave on 1st dec. what closes and open on thanksgiving itself (28th) it's my birthday that day and I'm hoping not everything will be closed. Just trying to get an idea of what it will be like

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

museums and tours will be closed but many restaurants will be open and most bars and lounges although the entertainment list might be sparse and not the first line.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

On Thanksgiving night, go to MidCity Lanes RocknBowl for Zydeco night. It's a blast and everybody comes out. The band is usually someone really good! If you bowl, get a lane; if you don't, just get in the mood to dance ($10 cover). It's packed that night, so go early (band usually starts at 8:30pm). Plenty of restaurants are open and if the weather is nice, you can walk around and enjoy the FrenchQuarter too (earlier in the day). Checkout www.offbeat.com for a listing of what is available elsewhere for music.

NOLA
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

We love the track on Thanksgiving Day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,640 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

Pat Obrien's is always open. They are open on Xmas day till 2 am (the bar is)

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

Here is a list of restaurants that were open for Thanksgiving in 2012. I'm sure this will be updated soon for 2013:

www.nomenu.com/joomla1/index.php…

Check Offbeat as lasfloras mentioned or wwoz.org as you get within two weeks of your visit for live local music.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

Thanks or all the messages. Do you think we'll need to book somewhere to eat? What time do you guys eat on thanksgiving is it an afternoon meal or evening meal. I'm trying to work out what the restaurants will be like in the evening .

Thansks again in advance

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

The traditional time to eat Thanksgiving dinner is early afternoon, say between noon and 2:00, although New Orleans allows for the non-traditional. If you are planning a somewhat formal or traditional dinner, you should definitely make reservations well in advance (about now). I've never spent Thanksgiving day in New Orleans, but if I was going to I would have dinner at Tujague's (pronounced two-jacks) because of its traditional but not overly formal format. There will be casual dining options available without reservations, but expect a wait during the more popular meal times.

South Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

We will be visiting from Miami, but I grew up in New Orleans. Most of the hotel restauraunts will be serving Thanksgiving fare. I did some research and we decided to book at Ralph's on the Park. It is Midcity near city park, so out of the tourist zone. We have a car but you could take a taxi as well. Google them and see what their menu offer is. Thanksgiving is usually a large lunch eaten between 1pm and 5pm, or so. Standard fare is Roasted Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, plus plenty of other stuff. You stuff yourself. In New Orleans there will be plenty of twists on this theme.

I suggest trying to book something on line, try Open Table.com, but you will most likely find many places to eat at the last minute as well. Goodluck!

9. Re: Thanksgiving what will still be open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 07, 2014