We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

We're going back to NoLa next April for FQF and can't wait! Been there last year and loved it!

One thing I'd like to do this year, is have a drink in one of the bars that have balconies on either Bourbon or Royal Street (or another lively street) and just chill out and people-watch from the balcony. Which bars would you recommend for this?

Also, we would like to go to the Preservation Hall this time. Is it a lot busier during FQF? We're there from the Wednesday before the Festival and could go on either Wednesday (if not too jetlagged) but Thursday would probably suit us better. I've read somewhere that the show at 10 is quieter, would you agree with that? Any other tips for preservation hall are appreciated!

Thanks,

Carmen

Mentioned in this post
Royal Street
Royal Street
6,945 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Preservation Hall
Preservation Hall
4,769 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

I highly recommend Muriel's for coctail on the balcony....you may even want to have lunch or dinner there....absolutely spectacular.

If you only want a drink and balcony, step into the bar area, order beverage of your choice, and have someone direct you to the balcony. It is next door to the Cathedral with magnificent views of Jackson Square. One of my favorite places in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,751 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Johnny White's on Bourbon has a Bourbon Street facing balcony, which curves around to face Orleans Street. Has tables, decent drinks, bar food, and friendly wait staff.

Mentioned in this post
Johnny White's
Johnny White's
16 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Tropical Isle corner of Bourbon and Orleans, diagonally across from Johnny White's. Cat's Meow, corner of Bourbon and St Peters Sts. Krazy Korner , diagonally across from Cat's Meow. Tableau, corner of St Peter and Chartres St. Also agree with Muriel's, corner of St Ann and Chartres at Jackson Square.

Mentioned in this post
Johnny White's
Johnny White's
16 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Krazy Korner
The Krazy Korner
123 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Tableau
Tableau
1,325 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,751 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

I second the second story balcony (Top of the Trop) on the Tropical Isle at the corner of Bourbon St. and Orleans Ave., although it's only open during the higher volume (busier) times, which would include nights during French Quarter Festival (FQF), and during the day on Saturday and probably on Sunday.

Considering the volume during French Quarter Festival, you might want to consider the VIP (Big Shot) seating option at Preservation Hall - see the website; I believe you will be able to book April shows starting with the beginning of March.

Mentioned in this post
Preservation Hall
Preservation Hall
4,769 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Many thanks for all your tips! We will definitely try Muriel's and one of the bars on Bourbon street for balcony views when we visit next April.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

"Tableau, Tropical Isle, Johnny White's, Cat's Meow, Krazy Korner, Muriel's."

Like the opening poster, we too would enjoy sitting with a drink(s) and people watch from a balcony. BUT... will this be an impossible endeavor during the days or evenings of Lundi Gas and Mardi Gras?

Mentioned in this post
Tableau
Tableau
1,325 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Johnny White's
Johnny White's
16 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Krazy Korner
The Krazy Korner
123 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Top of The Trop is awesome! I had never been up there before but we just met friends up there this October! HIGHLY recommended because it was a blast! The view is great--and I even caught a strand of beads up there! The Shark Attack drink was totally delicious, watching the show of them making it was really fun, and the plastic shark makes for a great doggie toy too!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Thanks, Deny!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

might be tough for Lundi Gras and Mardi Gras for sure, esp. during the night. Early afternoon may be okay! (Just guessing, coz I'm not "for sure" about it).

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cafe/bars with balcony view - Preservation Hall

Exactly what I'm thinking. Hopefully someone will have experienced this during MG.