We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

Hello, we are planning to be in town 12/23 or 24 through 12/26. Not a lot of time, I know.

We will have a car, plan to stay in the French Quarter and I'm looking for things to do around town.

I've found the bonfires on Christmas Eve but I'm coming up short on Christmas Day. I discovered that Saint Bernard Parish has some scenic byways and there is also an abandoned plantation house that we might go look at (just look at, not try to enter), but otherwise I don't know what we should do with the day since most things will be closed.

We are not interested in an organized tour like Gray Line.

1. Can you point me in the direction of self-drive guides that might have swamps and plantations along the way? We don't mind driving for a few hours round trip.

2. Are there Christmas Day tourist attractions open?

3. Is there a piano bar, upscale cabaret/drag show/burlesque show, or any other type of performance on Christmas night? What about on Christmas Eve if we decide not to drive out to the bonfires?

Thank you so much!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

the piano bar at pat O'Briens will be open for one option.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

Thanks very much, I will keep that as an option.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

We will be there for the holidays as well. For Christmas Eve, we have lunch planned at commanders palace ( dinner was already fully booked) then plan to visit some bars for some holiday spirits... Pat obriens for one. There may be a mass at St. Louis cathedral, which might be nice as well, if just for the music and singing. Or like you, we might visit the bonfires. Christmas Day may be a bit quieter. I made reservations for dinner at tujagues. Not sure what else there will be to do, other than visit some of the hotels to see decoration and a drink. The NOmenu.com website has a list of restaurants that were open last Xmas and Xmas eve. You may want to take a look at that. Can't imagine any tours being offered on Xmas day...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

Thanks so much for the ideas. We had not considered going to mass. I agree that it is going to be quiet so we may spend the day driving around the area outside of town.

It looks like everyone is going to the piano bar that evening!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

Btw, if you plan on dining out, it is recommended you make reservations in advance.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

We will be there for the holidays too. I agree with Bobbi about making reservations in advance. We've already made our reservations for all evening meals & a couple of lunches.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

I will look into reservations, thank you for the suggestion- now comes the hard part of deciding where to eat.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

You can find a list for the holidays 2013 at

neworleansonline.com/news/…holidaydining.html

I don't know how complete it is. The NOmenu.com website still just shows the 2012 openings, though I think it's still much the same for this year. Maybe well all run into one another at pat obriens!

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

New Orleans is a heavily Catholic city, so Mass on Christmas would be a great option to see local traditions. You might consider midnight at the Cathedral or Christmas day Jazz Mass at St. Augustine.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day activities

Mass sounds like a good idea to fill the time during the day when not much else is open. Can you recommend a church in the FQ that might have something special going on for their mass?