We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying oysters

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Buying oysters

Where is the best place to buy raw oysters to cook yourself? We could have them shipped or drive them home (6 hrs).

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying oysters

P&J Oysters at 1039 Toulouse will sell you half a sack

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying oysters

What dish is it you are wanting to cook? Do you need oysters in the shell? Do you know how to shuck them? You can buy whole, in-shell oysters as well as shucked oysters in markets all over the New Orleans area. If you just want to get a pint or two of shucked oysters for soup, casseroles, oyster dressing, baked oysters, etc., you can get them at markets like Harbor Seafood in Kenner, Schaefer's in Bucktown, the shrimp lot in Westwego, K-Jeans in Mid-City, P&J in the Quarter, etc., etc. Better grocery stores like Langenstein's and Dorignac's have them shucked too. And just curious - since half of La. lives in Houston now, any particular reason not to just buy them in Houston and not worry with extended transport? Lots of good markets and stores over there, like La. Foods, or just head down to the places on Galveston Bay.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying oysters

Thanks so much for the help.... No reason I can't buy them here. Just looking for an excuse to have my parents watch the kids so I can go to Nola for the weekend!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying oysters

I found a seafood market not too far away and got a sack today. Were gonna try them out tonight and see how they are. He said they were local from the San Antonio Bay and that in about 3 weeks they'll harvest from Matagora, Galveston, and down to Corpus. They had a whole bunch of live Louisiana blue crab which were tempting too! Might still go to Nola and then just buy a sack here on the way back!

5. Re: Buying oysters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 18, 2014