We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOLA.com - FQ comments

Woodridge, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
NOLA.com - FQ comments

I browsed the NOLA FQ board today - and found some comments like these. I have lived in or around Chicago all my life - so I'm aware of the issues/problems in any big city, so it doesn't strike me as that unusual - but it seems most of these comments are from locals. Is a lot of this activity new since Katrina? Some of these comments could be fake - anything can be said on an anonymous board - but I thought I'd check with locals and recent visitors to see if you've seen this type of activity on the streets/corners/times mentioned.

Our trip to NOLA begins Monday - and we can't wait! We know to be careful (not go anywhere alone at night - stay in busy areas - wallets in front pockets - etc) - just as we would be in Chicago (plus, I doubt we'll be out as early in the morning as noted in most of these comments!!!).

Example comments:

"the 200 & 300 blk of bourbon 800 & 900 blks of conti - st louis are HORRIBLE with thugs - crack whores - and transvestites - I have never in my 35 years in this Quarter seen so much blatant drug dealing - the NOPD has been really giving this area a cleansing but they keep coming back"

"I've noticed a lot more of the unsavory element in and around my block in the FQ. The corner of Burgundy & Saint Peter seems to have more traffic from what looks like a street corner dealer...I've called the cops to get them to patrol more. Is there more that one can do? Are there other problematic areas in the FQ that I need to pay attention to? Please advise."

"800 block of St Louis is horrid - the Quality of Life officer from Dist 8 promised action on it and it has gotten better. Street is still filled with unsavories around 5 to 6 AM"

"I walked my dog this am around 7:00 am from the 500 blk of Burgundy around to St Louis (900) up past Bourbon I saw 8 - EIGHT - black transvestite hookers - when I returned to sit on my stoop with neightbors they just stroll by and the cars stop and pick them up - what is going on you would think the cops could SEE THESE HOOKERS they are easy to spot - and the hip-hop drug dealers are taking over the 800 and 900 blk of st louis its a tragedy - and surely the cops can hear the musice coming from the cars - putting parked partol cars on the corners just gives them a place to lean while waiting for their tricks to pick them up!"

"Last night at approximately 10:00PM we were walking in the Quarter to a parking lot and passed "Rotolo's" at 201 Decatur (WWOZ Radio's website states it is a "new music venue").There were fifty or so thugs hanging out on the corner and blocking the street (with more walking towards the place from down the streets) ... cars blaring rap music were going around the block over and over squealing tires and burning rubber (creating clouds of smoke that went down the street) ... and there were what looked like on-going drug deals going on. We instantly felt unsafe and walked as quickly as possible from the area (as did many tourists who happened to walk up on the scene). I can't imagine anything good coming from this."

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,314 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

Thanks to moonlite for a great post! I wouldn't worry at all about the transvestite "thugs" - I was just giving some info to Cajunwave because I thought he would be interested.

Thanks for coming to Nola!! She needs you! :)

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,314 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Woodridge, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

We just got back yesterday - and had a fantastic time!

I didn't see any of the problems that had been posted (from that nola.com site) - but did see more police in the FQ than I remembered from the past (including mounted ones).

I posted a report via a Go List at tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4812-New_Orlea…

We're going to tell our friends and co-workers about our trip - show them photos - and strongly encourage people to come back to New Orleans. We felt more welcome this time than prior to the storm.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Shreveport, La
8 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

Just returned, didn't see any of what you say was posted. We had a great time and felt very safe. My husband and I ate dinner late and walked to restaurants most nights as we were busy at attractions and usually came back to our hotel to freshen up. I'm not sure of the blocks that were indicated in postings but we didn't see any of what was described. Loved, loved, loved New Orleans only regret is didn't take our young grand daughter who would have had a fabulous time. Although I must admit it was like a second honeymoon for my husband and I. Locals were friendly and more than happy to impart wisdom on everything from restaurants to attractions.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

I can't wait to go back to New Orleans. Moonltniite, I read your reviews and envied all the dining, etc. Sounds wonderful! My friends, family, co-workers, etc. think I'm nuts for wanting to go back. You're right, they have those Katrina images in their head. Besides, they never visted pre-Katrina anyways. I miss NOLA! I hope I can put a plan together for Fall of 2007. In the meantime, I continue to defend the most unique city I have ever visited!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,314 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
River Ridge, La
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

I work in the french quarter. I often leave work between 7-9 pm. I don't see any of the things listed on NOLA. that's not to say you shouldn't be aware of your surroundings.

Generally speaking, nola's forums have a lot of people with a strang twist on reality.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,314 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

I, too, would caution against reading too much into the forums at nola.com. It's a strange rather unhappy group and all postings tend to be overwhelmingly negative, be them about crime, the government, the Saints or life in general! I've read them a few times and quickly realized that the New Orleans they discuss is not the one in which I live!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

I've been to New Orleans several times since the hurricane and have yet to see anything remotely like what's discribed above. Maybe these people got lost in Papa Joe's (ha ha). There are one or two areas that have changed slightly but it seems to me to be safer now than before. There are a few bums (for lack of a better word) that hang at the Canal enterance to Bourbon looking for hand outs from the tourist. The 800 block is where the gay area of the Quarter starts and it has been my experience, while passing thru, that this area is more settled than the others and the people, while sometimes "wildly", dressed are very polite and well mannered.

As someone once said, "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see."

It sort of applies here.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

We are from the suburban Detroit area, and New Orleans has been a favorite place of ours for years. It is smart to just be cautious with valuables no matter where you are (it is a way of life in Detroit!)....but I must state that last year at Mardi Gras was the best! Everyone was so happy to have us there. All the employees at the hotels, bars, and resaturants could not have worked harder or been more receptive. It was a very political Mardi Gras, obviously....and we really enjoyed and appreciated the timely costumes, events, and displays.

This town needs help from any and all. Our Federal Gov. has been less than responsive to N.O. needs, and seems to have left things to the locals. They need tourist bucks and support. Leave your valuables at home...bring what you wish to spend, keep cash in a safe pocket or pinned inside your clothes and have a great time!

Looking forward to another wonderful Mardi Gras again next month! See you all there!

M & B

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

Ok, I have to ask....

If you are a Potentially Frightened Tourist, why in the world would you be out stumbling around the 800 block of St. Louis at 5 a.m. anyway? You're a block from Petunia's and I'm SURE they are not yet serving breakfast . And don't try to tell me "it was on the way back to the hotel..."

Mentioned in this post
20. Re: NOLA.com - FQ comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 21, 2009