We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cemetary tours

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cemetary tours

I read an earlier post but can't find it now, it was about a tour of cemetaries that you met at Cafe Beignet for tour. I thought the tour name was Robert Flowers, but have been unable to find any info on net. Does anyone know about this tour? What tour would you suggest? Is it possible to do a self guided tour, is it safe for 3 females to go into a cemetary without a tour, I've read it's not. we don't have a car so an earlier post about one self guided tour isn't convienent.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cemetary tours

anyone else having problems with tripadvisor, some posts not appearing when come on site.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cemetary tours

I can only address the question of whether going without a tour is safe. I would say yes it's safe... BUT, it's only really enjoyable if you're getting some of the background on the graves and stories about the people in them.

I have only done the Metairie Cem. driving tour, so I can't offer suggestions of other tours, but I'd definitely recommend that you try to do a guided or self-guided tour for the reason I mentioned above.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cemetary tours

thanks for info

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cemetary tours

I was just there last week and took a cemetery tour that left around 10am from Flanagin's Pub in the FQ. If you get there at 9:30 they include a free breakfast before you leave. It was a decent tour of Cemetery No. 1. I learned a lot and enjoyed it a lot more than just going through the cemetery on my own. Also, it is highly recommended that you do NOT go into the cemeteries if you're not on a tour. I didn't see too much riff-raff, however the tour guide made it perfectly clear that the cemetery is surrounded by low-income housing projects that ARE NOT SAFE! I highly suggest a tour.....

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cemetary tours

We just returned from NO and visited St. Louis #1 on our own. Our host reccomended that if we go there on our own that we go between the hours of 11 and 2 when the tours run, so that there are others there when you are. This was in a bad area of town, and you can easily see that. We still went without a tour, but felt a little uneasy. You will learn more on a tour if you haven't ever been there. Keep in mind the cemetaries close at 330 in the afternoon, and we chatted with someone who has been locked in before.

Ont
Level Contributor
477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cemetary tours

thanks for the info. I found the site for the Save our Cemeteries tour, think I will look into this one.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cemetary tours

I found the website too. Which tour is recommended? The St Louis or the Lafayette? Which is the one that serves breakfast if you get to it earlier?