We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic food/Day Activity

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Authentic food/Day Activity

I will be staying at the Roosevelt Hotel from the 27-30th and are looking for a few good restaurants to try the authentic cuisine of your area! Good Crawfosh and gumbo a must, however hubby does not like seafood at all. Also looking for a good BBQ place as well. Suggestions for both casual and fancier options would be awesome. Also, we will have some free time to explore and would like to know what fun attractions there may be? How is the zoo? Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic food/Day Activity

please use the search feature here for a wealth of information. new Orleans is not a BBQ city but squeal or hillbilly would be the best. creole food is the norm and we like Mr. b's or Muriel's and check out gumbo with the search. a good local food site is www.no menu.com

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic food/Day Activity

I would agree with cajunyank about New Orleans, but Louisiana in general is huge on bbq. Just for example, the local Connecticut Walmart Supercenter has a section about 3 ft wide of smoked sausage, andouille, etc. The Baton Rouge equivalent is at least 60 ft long and has large tailgate 30 packs of same. Somebody is bbq'n somethin' aroun' here.

The nomenu site cy noted above has a 12 best BBQ list to include both Squeal and Hillbilly as noted above and a few others:

www.nomenu.com/joomla1/index.php…

I would like to try out Mrs Hester's sometime, sounds interesting.

By the way, if you scoot across Baronne from the Roosevelt, give Cajun Mike's Pub and Grub a try for gumbo, jambalaya, boudin, etc. It is a bit of a dive and smells a little smoky and "barlike", but fresh hot cajun food at the bar or to go, and an all-day happy hour while you eat, or while you wait.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic food/Day Activity

Great, thanks for the responses!

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic food/Day Activity

Gumbo Ya Ya at Mr.B's

Three different gumbos at Olivier's Restaurant

Chartres House gumbo

Gumbo Shop....

these are my favorites. I do not like seafood, but order chicken/Andouille (sausage) gumbo

houston, texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic food/Day Activity

I have posted some recommendations at www.postcardplans.com as well but our favorite place for drinks are Cure and for a Southern meal Jacque Imo's but Bacchanal Wine is moving up the list

6. Re: Authentic food/Day Activity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 12, 2014