We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

wife and I are making out first trip to NOLA. 3 nights; just a short trip. mainly interested in drinking, and eating. maybe some light shopping (local art, independent stores, late AM coffee, live music or cool jukeboxes, etc)

I am sure we will check out the Quarter for a bit, but enjoy just finding cool local neighborhoods when we travel, and go local for a day or two. mingle with friendly locals.

Marigny sounds like it fits the bill. late 30's early 40's if it makes a difference. is this neighborhood a fit? anywhere else we should look? I like the sounds of it location...10 minutes to the Quarter if we want that, but also close to Frenchmans area etc that sounds more our speed.

good food in the neighborhood? any advice is appreciated. cheers

Brendan

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

We really like the Marigny it is laid back but close to everything.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

Marigny is a very cool neighborhood, but as relates to the French Quarter don't confuse the concept of "Bourbon Street" with the concept of "French Quarter". The "action" portion of Bourbon Street only makes up a relatively small portion of the French Quarter. A substantial portion of the French Quarter is residential in nature, complete with friendly locals. Drinking, and eating. maybe some light shopping (local art, independent stores, late AM coffee, live music or cool jukeboxes, etc) pretty much defines a large portion of the French Quarter. The French Quarter offers a more extensive selection of dining and small store shopping. For a first time NOLA visit you might want to consider lodging, either in the French Quarter or Marigny, that is very convenient to BOTH Marigny (Frenchmen St) and the French Quarter.

NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

cool - good to know about the Quarter. I am not really itching to see Bourbon St; although the rest of that area sounds good. that is the area between the Square (Jackson) and over towards Esplanade I take it? as opposed to the area between Canal and the Square. just started researching so sorry for the silly questions.

also, how about the Warehouse district? is it walkable from this "inbetween" Marigny/Quarter area ? is there much to see? maybe more of a streetcar trip?

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

The Quarter is only @ 8 short blocks X 12 short blocks...Marigny is across Esplanade and still has shorter blocks, Warehouse Dist. is across Canal with slightly longer blocks. You might go to neworleansonline.com for lists of things to do. historic sites, tours, and most importantly...maps that will help with your questions. Yes, the Warehouse Dist.is walkable from Marigny or the Quarter. Yes, the Lower Quarter is quieter and there are small hotels in that area, along with restaurants /bars, etc. If you want a neighborhood feel, I would stay in the Lower Quarter (toward Esplanade) or Upper Marigny (toward Esplanade) for convenience sake (walking to other places). There are several BnB's as well as restaurants and bars there, also. There are several things to do in the Warehouse Dist. as well, but you will not have the more "local" feel that you seem to want.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

The Quarter is just under a mile across. Canal Street and Esplanade Avenue are its uptown/downtown borders, and Jackson Square sits in the middle.

The Warehouse District is roughly half a mile uptown of Canal Street, so from the Warehouse District to the border of the Quarter, figure on a 10-15-minute walk, plus another 10-15 minutes to Jackson Square -- a 20-30 minute stroll in all. (Allowing time to dawdle along the way!)

Marigny begins at Esplanade Avenue, so it's slightly closer to the Quarter. From a hotel in Marigny, it's probably a 15-minute walk to Jackson Square.

I love the Marigny and Warehouse District, and would happily stay in either neighborhood. But for first-time visitors to New Orleans, a hotel in the quiet lower French Quarter (between Jackson Square and Esplanade Avenue) would probably be the most convenient. You'll be close to everything, without being in the thick of it.

Again, Marigny and the Warehouse District are great neighborhoods, but somewhat off the beaten path. If you decide not to stay in the Quarter, be prepared to do a bit of walking.

Have a wonderful trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

One other thing to consider: Stay in the Quarter or Marigny if you want to be surrounded on all sides by vernacular New Orleans architecture.

The Warehouse District is very handsome, but its oldest buildings (mostly 19th-century) were built by Northerners who'd moved to New Orleans to make vast fortunes when the city was at the height of its prosperity. Warehouse District architecture resembles 19th-century industrial architecture in other American cities.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

Can't answer any better than skt and Slate did. The Riverfront streetcar goes along the River (duh) from a corner of Marigny, along one side of the French Quarter, along one side of the Central Business District (CBD), to a corner of the Warehouse/Arts District. However, the Riverfront streetcars only pass frequently between around 10 AM and 8 PM.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

We've stayed in the Marigny several times and I think it would be perfect for you. It's right between my two favorite neighborhoods, the French Quarter (of course) and the Bywater. It's also close to the Treme, which I also love. Still, our favorite place to stay in the whole city is the French Quarter, and I agree there are parts of it that are nothing like Bourbon St. We personally love the location of Hotel Villa Convento.

NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

thanks, all. my wife picked il Convento incidentally; but its full. I found a place called r-Bar that looks funky and has rooms above it. wonder how loud/late though

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is the Marigny neighborhod like as a place to stay?

Any thoughts or advice about staying at Frenchman 519