We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Question

Michigan
Level Contributor
383 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Question

We are scheduled to arrive BACK into New Orleans aboard a cruise ship on Saturday, April 12. IF we can get off of the ship by 8:00 am, can we MOST LIKELY get a taxi and be at the airport by 9:00 am? We can either take a 11:10 am flight or wait all day unitl the next flight at 5:30 pm. This will be our first trip to New Orleans, so we do not know the time/distance factor from the port to the airport. All info/advice is welcome. (We are not able to stay over that night and leave the next day, although we are coming in 2 days early before the cruise.)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Question

It seems like more of a cruise ship question than an airport question, to be honest. What time does the ship dock and how much of an "if" is it to be off the shop by 8:00 or 9:00 ?

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
411 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Question

Don't know if you have ever been on a cruise before, but if the ship docks at 8 AM, it will need to clear customs (assuming it sailed outside the US) prior to any passengers being released. Then ships usually have a passenger order to disembarkation based on criteria such as room deck, etc. Then you need to claim your luggage and go through customs, which can be very quick, or very slow depending on the day's activity.

Michigan
Level Contributor
383 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Question

Ship is supposed to dock at 7:00 am. We have been on many cruises and feel that we could probably be off the ship at 8:00. We do not know how long customs will take in New Orleans. We do not know about difficulty in getting a taxi at the port, and also the travel time required to get to the airport. Our flight choices are limited. We prefer the 11:00 flight IF we can MOST LIKELY make it. OR is there a place we could store our luggage for the day and enjoy a few more hours in New Orleans???

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Question

Even though I would not book such an early flight, I will admit that on our cruise out of New Orleans, we were in the car and driving back toward NC by 8:30. We carried our own bags off and one of our group had to walk to the French Quarter to get our vehicle, and we still were on the road quickly. The airport is about 30 minutes from the terminal, pretty much all on I-10.

I think it is too tight if anything went wrong--instead I'd send the bags to the airport (I believe there is a service for this) and go have lunch in the French Quarter.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Question

It's PROBABLY doable, especially if you let the cruise folks know you have an 11am flight. They will likely put you in disembarkation group 1 or 2. Taxis are plentiful at the cruise terminal and once in a cab you're 25-30 minutes from MSY. I would personally not chance it, but at worse the airline will just bump you to a later flight, I guess.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
693 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Question

To answer your question, YES, a cab can easily make it to the airport from the dock in an hour.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Question

The following is from the Port of New Orleans website. I would verify that this service is still operating BEFORE I booked a flight depending on it:

Rush It Courier Service operates a baggage transfer service at the cruise terminals that will deliver your baggage from the terminal to the airport. This is a perfect service for those that have later flights and want to enjoy the sights of the City after the cruise and before departing for home. A great way to extend the vacation. We are also working on a system to deliver bags from the airport to the cruise terminal on arrival, to allow those early arrivals to start their vacations early. For more information and rates, call (504) 471-0080.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Question

I'd personally spend as much time in NOLA as possible, and take a later flight.

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
744 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Question

You are cutting it very very close, and think about how much stress you will be under that morning....what if there are customs delays, fog delays getting into port, or other weather delays, traffic issues getting to the airport, long lines at check in or security. Not to be a negative Nelly, but there are so many variables. Maybe at FLL port with the airport so close to the cruise port you could try this. I suppose you could book it and find out what options you might have with the airline if you miss it, i.e. stand by for the later flight. But man, why stress so much at the end of your vacation? I promise you will have PLENTY of stress waiting for you when you get back home! Go relax with a beignet and a hurricane for a few hours before you board that plane.

10. Re: Airport Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 28, 2014