We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

I wanted to share my experience with everyone. In the baggage area you will find a desk where they are selling tickets for the shuttle into the French Quarter. I asked the lady how often they leave. She said every 15 minutes. Surprise!!! I sat there for 40 minutes. The drivers wait until the van is completely full. I arrived at my hotel in the French Quarter an hour and a half later. If I had taken a taxi it would have been a half hour or less. I saw couples taking this and and wondered if they knew it would be cheaper and quicker than this. For the return I was very nervous after this. I called and they said it would take at least 45 minutes or more. I am going to take a taxi back. Live and Learn!!

57 replies to this topic
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

Most regular posters on this forum advise taxis to and from the airport. While it is a little less expensive for one person to take the shuttle it is more expensive for 2 or more people. It will always take longer.

Edited: 8:50 pm, August 04, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,976 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

If i don't rent a car,i always take a cab or public transportation.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,396 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

From the Airport to the Central Business District/French Quarter, I always suggest a taxicab unless someone is traveling alone or in a group of more than six. If traveling in a group of more than six, I would consider a chartered limo or luxury van or bus.

If traveling alone I would first try to find someone to share a cab with. I would next consider the Airport Bus, especially now that the Loyola-UPT streetcar is in operation. See Comment 6 at:

I would take the Airport Shuttle only as a last resort.

Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

I would never share a cab - I saw Taken! ;) Seriously, we have always used the cabs, and can only confirm the advice above.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

LOL, Jim! That's too funny!

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

Well Jim, I guess it's a 50/50 shot then. Because I've seen the gum commercials where people share a cab, pop a piece of gum, and find their soulmate. LoL.

OP I'm sorry for your ordeal. We do live and learn. Unfortunately, some things are just no fun learning. I hope the rest of your trip was better.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
637 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

Airport shuttle services in general are remarkable for their poor service and obnoxious schedules. Airport Shuttle Inc of New Orleans builds on that foundation of inadequacy by employing rude and obnoxious individuals who should not be allowed jobs that involve interaction with human beings.

My shuttle into the city of New Orleans was fine, an acceptable level of service. The problems started with my return shuttle. Mmy departing flight was scheduled for 6 AM. I called ahead the morning before to work out the details; for some reason they had scheduled me for a 9:55 PM pick up the night before. This was obviously sub-optimal so I called and was informed by the woman at the other end of the line that they could not accommodate a 6 AM departing flight.

When I pointed out that it is somewhat unusual to expect a customer to spend 8 hours in an airport I was immediately put on hold; the scheduler came back online to tell me that they could pick me up at 3:55 AM but that was at my own risk for missing my flight. How it had suddenly become possible to accommodate the 6 AM departure was not explained but I figure I’d take the risk. Alas, when I made a request to depart from a different hotel (located just 5 blocks from the original) I was told that it must be a 3:10 AM pick up. Why 5 blocks means 45 minutes differences was not entirely explained but at this point I had decided it was not worth it. I politely informed the person on the other end that I would opt not to use their service for the return trip; she said “thank you” and hung up on me before I could get another word in. Wow, marginal service is one thing but to be rude enough in a service industry to hang up on a customer?

The owners of this business should be ashamed of their employees and of the poor level of service the deliver.

Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

We took the airport shuttle on our first visit to NOLA and only one so far. Took a long time to get to our hotel. It was a lesson learned. Next time taxi all the way, regardless of cost!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
46,716 posts
1,496 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

If we are not renting an auto, was will almost always take a taxi. If we are arriving at odd hours, or if my wife is flying in from elsewhere to meet me, especially with a late arrival, I just book a towncar for the trip downtown.

There are several cities in the US, where we refuse to take a taxi, but NOLA is not one of those. We have standing accounts with limo companies in Las Vegas, San Francisco, Washington DC, Boston and Chicago, but not in NOLA, as we have seldom felt the need for it.

Sorry about your experiences.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,443 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware

My 2 cents is that shuttles are a great choice in some circumstances. Example: I always take a shuttle service when I go to Florida cause the airport is to far from my beach hotel for me to take a taxi. It would cost like 60 bucks while the shuttle is 20 something. I think if you're within a 1/2h of your destination the taxi is worth, like it New Orleans.

Besides, 1/2 the fun/scary sh..t is the cab drive to the Quarter from the airport. Those cabbies are crazy!!! :)

Reply to: New Orleans Airport Shuttle Beware
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted