We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zydeco music

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
149 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
zydeco music

Does anyone have any advice on hearing a great Zydeco band? We will be arriving Aug 4 and leaving on that Thursday, so Rock 'n' bowl is not looking like the best option. (I'm pretty upset about that!) I'm mainly looking for somewhere close to the French quarter.

I'm not opposed to traveling a bit outside the quarter. But, I don't want to get too far away. I'm not really wanting to get so far away that a cab is necessary, walking, pedicab, or streetcar would be ideal. (We are in very good shape, so walking a bit is not an issue, but don't want to walk somewhere too sketchy!)

Honestly, Mulates sounds kinda fun, but I'm not willing to waste a meal in NOLA on what appears to be mediocre fried food.

Fairfield Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zydeco music

We just ate at Mulates for the first time last week. My husband had some kind of chicken dish with mushrooms, onions, veggies that he said was delicious. I had a muffaletta that was not very good but to be honest I think I just plain don't care for olive salad. The atmosphere there was a lot of fun and we enjoyed watching the band and people dance. Drinks were expensive and watered down. Jumbalaya was really good. Maybe you could stop in for a snack & skip a full meal there?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zydeco music

If Dwayne Dopsie and his band are in town, they are awesome. They play at the Krazy Korner Thursday's to Sunday's, but are not there a lot in summer because of touring. When you get to town, check with the bar.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zydeco music

I think that Mulate's has Cajun music, rather than Zydeco music (not the same thing). Also the food is very mediocre (think large bus groups/convention meals etc). Check the Livewire on WWOZ

wwoz.org/new-orleans-community/music-calendar

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zydeco music

Cajun and Zydeco music, although somewhat similar are two different styles.

Cajun music includes Conray Fontenot & 'Bois-Sec' Ardoin, Beausoleil, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, etc.

Clifton Chenier, Rockin' Dopsie and his son Dwayne, Gino Delafose, Beau Jocque, Rosie Ledet and Buckwheat Zydeco are some great names in Zydeco.

Since you will miss Zydeco night, the only option would be Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers as Porelly said.

The music at Mulate's is Cajun not Zydeco, but you may still enjoy it. Have dinner somewhere else first.

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zydeco music

In addition to Dwayne Dopsie at Krazy Korner, there is a band playing at VooDoo Vibe(333 Bourbon) at 7:00 on weekends that plays quite a bit of zydeco. Not Waylon Thibideaux (the excellent Cajun band that plays there Sun-Wed), but Sheldon ........(forgot his last name). They are young and very good. Alex McDonald is their washboard player...excellent.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zydeco music

skt54, the band at Voodoo Vibe on the weekends, are they there Friday, Saturday & Sunday? Gonna be there this week-end and hope to see Alex McDonald playing again.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zydeco music

Bumping this cause I'd like to know the answer to bcla's question also. I love Alex!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zydeco music

Also take a look at the calendar at www.offbeat.com but when you see zydeco...double check the venue via the internet as offbeat has had some updating issues.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: zydeco music

How about the Tropical Isle Bayou Club on Bourbon. Caju

n and Zydeco.seven nights a week. Google it

New Orleans...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: zydeco music

Check out Tropical Isle's Bayou Club at 610 bourbon. They usually have a good zydeco band.