We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Eats

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Eats

Hi everyone! We are headed down to my favorite city on the planet next Thursday. We are going to be on a tighter budget than I had hoped, so I'm looking for suggestions on good cheap eats.

So far I have on my list places that I've been before and some that I've picked up on from these sites.

Napoleon House (been there)

Johnny's Po-Boys (been there)

Yo Mama's (been there)

Willie Mae's Scotch House

Clover Grill

Verti Marte

Cafe du Monde (been there)

Daisy Dukes (been there)

I would like to add another place that is maybe not so cheap, but I'd like to stay under $15 a meal. I feel like the whole list is po-boy's and burgers...I need some NOLA flavor! Help!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Eats

Felix's or Acme Oyster House, Praline Connection, and of course Vera Blue's Red Gravy.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Eats

Maybe Deja Vu (it will seem like you have been there), a 24/7 table service restaurant with a full service bar located at the corner of Dauphine St. and Conti St. Check out the specials:

http://www.dejavunola.com/menu/specials/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Eats

Cafe Reconcile, Camellia Grill, Katie's Restaurant, Vacherie, Red Gravy, happy hours at Domenica, Luke and American Sector, Cake Cafe, Croissant D'Or

I would do Bacchanal Wine as the nicer dinner--cash only, outside dining, jazz, wine and cheese, very chill place.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Eats

Well, that's two votes for Red Gravy...I guess I'll have to check it out. I love Acme, but I've gone there every trip...I would like to add some new restaurants!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Eats

At Red Gravy I love the cannoli pancakes for breakfast and the chicken and waffles for brunch. Haven't had dinner there yet but my friend's lunch the other day looked ah-mazing. It was a sandwich called The Nina.

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
342 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Eats

Coop's Place

http://www.coopsplace.net/

It looks like a dive bar but the food is outstanding. Large portions and low prices. They're infamous for their poor service but we've never actually had a problem there, if anything we've had good service. Nobody under 21, they have video gaming machines.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Eats

We finally ordered delivery from Verti Mart on our last trip. This was the best bargain of the entire trip! We shared a salad, entree and dessert. The portions are HUGE! We also like Coop's. I hear about the bad service all the time, but we've never had a problem there. I also think Stanley's is reasonable and it's our favorite gumbo place.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Eats

Ditto for Coop's Place. I ate there at least four times (sometimes dinner, sometimes lunch) during a week back in March. It's not fancy, but the food was great (fried chicken, shrimp & crawfish etouffee) and cheap. I never had bad service; in fact, on several visits the staff gave me some very good tips on local stuff to do/see. They won't kiss your butt just because you are a tourist, and they don't suffer fools, but they are good people. For dinner, for example, if you don't get there by around 6 PM, you will wait in line at the door. Hardly a "bad" place.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Eats

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Red Gravy, Coop's used to be better than it is now. Liuzza's By The Track is also someplace I think everyone should try. BBQ Shrimp PoBoy is to die for. And don't be fooled by the BBQ description, it is fresh shrimp sauted in garlic butter.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Eats

outofevansville (as in Evansville Illinois??:) I'll send you a PM...it's kind of a long list to post :)