We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blues in NOLA

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jeanerette...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Blues in NOLA

I'm looking for your personal favorite recommendations to hear Blues in Nola for a group that are in their 60's. I know some of the hotel's bars have live Blues but am not sure which ones. Thanks!!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blues in NOLA

We are huge Blues fans. Favorite place is The Funky Pirate Blues Club 727 Bourbon Street. Fav band there is Mark Penton & The Pentones who play 4:30-8:00 Fri,Sat & Sun. Great band on Sunday nights 8:30-12 Willie Lockett & The All Purpose Blues Band. Tues thru Sat nights The BluesMasters featuring Big Al Carson. Can't go wrong at FP, home for Blues fans.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Blues in NOLA

I love the Sing Sing bar on Bourbon St. I think it is closed Monday and Tuesday but every time I have been there I have enjoyed myself.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blues in NOLA

We have had fun at Sing Sing too, fairly early evening on weekends. Sometimes they have good bands, have also heard some there that are only so-so. My concern about recommending it to new visitors is that it is pretty far UP on Bourbon, closer to Canal and I don't like the atmosphere in that area later in the evening.

NJ
Level Contributor
716 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blues in NOLA

I love Sing Sing - it's kind of a dive, which in my opinion a right atmosphere for blues ! :)

AR
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blues in NOLA

Funky Pirate for sure! Willie Lockett on Sunday at 8:00...Gary Brown on Monday at 8:00..wonderful.

Sing Sing- usually the late band is blues...and good. begins at 10:00. Rooster and the Chickenhawks right now..but it changes all the time.

Old Opera House afternoon band is blues right now...that will mostly likely change soon.

Balcony Music Club (on Decatur/Esplanade) has blues...great on Sun or Mon when Lil Red and Big Bad is playing...the schedule is posted on the window at the club.

The first three clubs are on Bourbon. I am a woman in 60's and have no problem going by myself to any of them. If I don't like atmosphere on Bourbon after exiting Sing Sing, I step over to Royal St. However, I was there Sunday night until midnight and walked home straight down Bourbon...no problem.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blues in NOLA

Is that Gary Brown the sax player that used to play at club 544 back in the day?

AR
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blues in NOLA

Yes, Gary is at Funky Pirate on Monday nights as of 2-3 months ago. Gary went from 544 to Tropical Isle and then after Katrina, he went on the road...still does some road gigs, but tries to arrange his schedule so that he is at FP on Mondays 8-midnight. Still dynamic.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blues in NOLA

We are also fans of Funky Pirate both Mark Pentone and Willie Lockett

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Blues in NOLA

WOW skt thanks for the info club 544 was my hangout back in the 80s. Gary used to come sit at my table between sets. That's such good news. You made my day. Pity I wont be in Nola on a Monday night till next Lundi gras

AR
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blues in NOLA

Be sure to go to tropicalisle.com.....click on Live Music Schedule...click on Funky Pirate. That will give the schedule for the week...just in case Gary is out of town for Lundi Gras. It's good to have him back even if only for one day a week. If you haven't heard Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band, they are very good and play on Sundays at the FP.